someone is using my email address to sign up!

efffoo
Contributor
Contributor

I have discovered that someone has used my email address to set up a new paypal account. I have had the address for a few months now but had been using my old one to log in.  Tried to change it to my new one only to be told that it was in use on another account.

I type my new address in the log in and asked for a password to be sent for my "account"  Since it is my email address, no issue.  Got into the account and some woman is using my email address claiming it is hers.  No transactions but she appeared to be setting up for ebay selling....WITH MY EMAIL ADDRESS.  I took screen shots and also shots of my inbox with my mail to show it's mine. What is going on?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

Its very unlikely that someone was using the same email address and password.

People can make mistakes in email address when adding them on for example:

Name123@hotmail.com

Name123@hotmail.co.uk

Name12@hotmail.com

The smallest spelling mistake and it could look like someone is trying to use your account. One PayPal you need to confirm the email address. Unless someone has access to your emails then they would not be able to confirm the email address.

As you say you have logged into the account with your new email address. I’d advise closing this and once closed you can then add the email address onto your current PayPal account.

Login to Me Too

DSBlue
Contributor
Contributor

I am having exactly the same issue. 

I am trying to sign up to PayPal and my email account is being used and verified with two-step-verification by another person. How is this possible?

I have two step verification with the email provider, I have a 16 digit password and I confirmed with the email provider that no one has entered that account besides my devices and myself. How is it possible that you allow another person to verify an account that is not his? From another country that I have not been in?

Besides this, I called the support center and after one hour talking to them, they could not provide a solution at all, but they told me I have to be sure that my info has not been compromised? How can I trust PayPal with my account information if they give to step authentification to a person who does not have access to an email.

Login to Me Too

hebandgene
New Community Member

I would like to know if you ever resolved this. Something similar happened to me where someone created a Paypal account and seems to be using my email address as their secondary address. I say that because when I type my email address into Paypal and click that I forgot my password it says there is no account associated with that email address. However, when I contacted Paypal they said that indeed someone signed up for an account and is using my email address. None of my personal or credit card information is associated with the account however, so it must have been in error. Paypal said they would contact the person to let his know of the supposed error, but beyond that they cannot help me because account information is confidential. Apparently the person did not remove my address from his account because I have again received a Paypal receipt intended for him. I'd like to know how you resolved this so I can try the same avenue. I would like for my address to be removed from this person's account. Thanks!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_lucy

Hey there,

Just reading your post I’m curious as to why it tells you that there is no account associated with the email address when there is.

Have you tried to set up an account using the email address?

Also when doing this make sure you are typing in the email address in full and not using the email address that may be automatically in the box already.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.