service@int'l.paypal.com is a genuine email address from PayPal?

Eileen_omar
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email from the captioned email address with an attachment titled "Protect Buyer and Seller" saying that I have received an Instant payment complete with "Unique Transaction ID____.  However, I cannot see any notification in my PayPal account? The attachment went on to say that I have to provide "Shipment fee clearance receipt" which means I have to pay upfront to the transport company before PayPal release the payment made by the buyer which includes the shipment fee. Is this for real??

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eileen_omar

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Also you should NEVER click on attachments in that sort of spoof email .

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Eileen_omar
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for your advice. I was somewhat uneasy paying upfront with a fake email as a guarantee!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.