paypal vehicle scam

Mammie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, is there ANYONE out there who has been a victim of the paypal vehicle scam, where someone was wanting to purchase your vehicle and asked that money be sent to a pick up agent, and then more money was requested before the transaction could occur? I did realize I was being scammed, but not before I lost $1377! I filed an Internet Crime Complaint, but I"m just wondering what can be done for restitution and if anyone else has actually LOST money because of these pieces of crap. Thank you!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mammie

Oh dear, this scam has been ongoing for years and is all over the internet as they target most sites where folks sell cars.

I wish you had checked here first, this is how it works  >>

A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the car, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mammie
Contributor
Contributor
Yes and thanks for your reply! I am seeing first hand how this scam works...I am wondering if anyone out there has gotten restitution and how they did it?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mammie

Well you are not going to get your money back unfortunately as they are nearly always somewhere in Nigeria using highjacked usernames and email addresses.     Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.