paypal asks for credit card as login confirmation! could be phishing...

xiaoju
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

paypal asks for my complete credit card number to confirm login (because I log in through vpn).

How to be sure this is not a phishing site?

Why paypal asks for the whole number? they could ask for just a few random digits from the number ?

xiaoju

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi xiaoju,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

We may ask for your full card number when you are logging in as want to be sure that only the account holder has access. We will ask for your card number but never your expiry date or CVV number. You will see the lock symbol in the address bar when you are on the correct website.

Using a VPN is against our terms of service so we recommend avoiding this as it can cause your account to be limited.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

xiaoju
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the clear answer.

However, please note that forbidding VPN use in the Paypal terms of service is not reasonable. For example in China, many legitimate websites are blocked, such as most news websites and music streaming websites. We use VPN to connect to these website. When we buy a service from them, they redirect us customers automatically to the paypal website. Then we land on the paypal page through vpn.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_DavidR

Hi there,

We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to forward it on, however at this time the use of a VPN is not allowed and can cause you problems when trying to use your account.

-David R

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.