new fishing email going round

lb17
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, today I received a email saying someone tried to login to my account, in the email they provide a ip but that is fake as well, so be aware, this is a copy of the email I received i have removed the login link they sent for safety reasons and I sent the email to paypal to investigatd.

thanks.

Attention:  Your PayPal account has been violated! PayPal Security & Privacy Dear PayPal Member,

Someone with ip address 63.501.26.80 tried to access your personal account! Please click the link below and enter your account information to confirm that you are not currently away You have 3 days to confirm account information or your account will be locked.

Click the link below to activate your account:

Â

Thank you for your prompt response.

Sincerely, PayPal Member Services

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Your "phishing" email instantly gives itself away by addressing you as Dear paypal member/user. Paypal will always send an email to your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Je5ton
New Community Member
I got that same email today. Thanks for the heads up.
Login to Me Too

cfrye
New Community Member

Thank you so much for posting this! I was going to check it out when I first recieved the message but I was on my mobile and couldn't do it, then I forgot about it until today. When I clicked on the link, Chrome told me it was a phishing site. Thank goodness for forgetfulness! 

Login to Me Too

5555alexc
New Community Member
I opened it and signed in around five times and nothing was happening so i closed it. What happens now that i fell for this?
Login to Me Too

lb17
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, your best bit is inform paypal straight away, as when you use the fake link they sent u it simply records your login details.

Login to Me Too

itdrive
New Community Member

Just by looking at the IP address can tell it's fake as one of the octets of the IP address is invalid. Also following the Click Here Link they include leads to mdtrav something. Nowhere near Paypal.

Please don't fall for this scam.

Login to Me Too

birdgewater
New Community Member

i receive the following.   I am lucky that i check the ip address and found it is scam.   Please investigate!!

Attention:  Your PayPal account has been violated! PayPal Security & Privacy Dear PayPal Member,

Someone with ip address 63.501.26.80 tried to access your personal account!
Please click the link below and enter your account information to confirm that you are not currently away
You have 3 days to confirm account information or your account will be locked.

Click the link below to activate your account:

UPDATE ONLINE NOW

Thank you for your prompt response.

Sincerely,
PayPal Member Services

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Can see its a spoof from the first line.

"Dear paypal member"....paypal never address you with anything apart from your full name ....eg Dear John Smith.

Send it to spoof@paypal.com if you want to.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

HPNYC
New Community Member

i just got the same email too! if you look at the From address it's you own email which is a dead giveaway for such scam emails!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.