how do i report a scammer?

reavey170
New Community Member

Evening all,

Yesterday i was told by person trying to buy my car that the money had been paid in plus an extra £250 to cover the western union money transfer and their fee. I havent gave them any details but recieved emails from "paypal" saying i wasnt at any point allowed to call paypal by phone due to there being lots of other customers. i knew right from the start it was a scam and this should be pointed out to people who are easily lead and more awareness of scammers should be made. I just want to know how can we shut these people down and stop this? How do i go about reporting this case and do i have to change my details with paypal so i dont get hacked?

thanks for reading and hope i get a response!!!!

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Serjey

Don't be so naive, they are normally in Africa somewhere, using an internet cafe / anonymous or throw away phones / hijacked email addys etc etc.

Paypal are not interpol.

You get just as many scammers sending fake emails from ''banks'' / ''credit cards'' etc etc but there is nothing they can do about it apart from warn the users NOT to respond to spoof emails.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Serjey
Contributor
Contributor

The scammer who tried to deceive me, used the phone number with Massachusetts's area code and he wanted me to send $500 to US address via MoneyGram. A person who must receive money from MoneyGram must present an ID card. It is enough to catch them.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Serjey

Which either way has nothing to do with Paypal.

If it was a scammer within your own country then its up to the person that sent the funds to report it to the police who 'may' be able to do something.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Serjey
Contributor
Contributor

in short, let them continue to deceive people ... did I understand you correctly?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Serjey

I have probably saved hundreds of folks on this forum from being scammed over the years.

However that is 'if' they post on here in time to stop them sending their items to scammers OR sending funds via western union etc.

If they do then users on this forum can help them from being scammed.

BUT that is the ONLY way that Paypal can warn / save them as the actual transaction is NOT DONE ON PAYPALS SITE.

If you receive a FAKE email from your bank tonight and you respond to it and get scammed would you expect your bank to be running all over the country trying to get you your money back?

Stop being so naive and understand that whilst Paypal and users on this forum do their best to save folks, if they are not ACTUALLY USING PAYPALS SITE TO MAKE THE TRANSACTION THEN THERE IS LITTLE PAYPAL CAN DO TO STOP THEM.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Serjey
Contributor
Contributor

All I understood is that this fraud will never end because no one cares. Thanks for the explanation!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Serjey

Thats like saying burglaries will never end because no one cares......well folks care but once someone has been burgled there is not a lot that can be done, whereas PREVENTING them from being burgled in the first place does help.

As for caring I see you  have never helped a single person on this forum let alone saved someone from being scammed, whereas I have VOLUNTARILY given up my time to help out on here for a couple of hours most days to SAVE folks from being scammed. As i said I have saved hundreds.

Wonder which one of us 'cares' the most. The one mouthing off or the one actually doing something about it but recognises it is not a PAYPAL problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Serjey
Contributor
Contributor

Savior, you have a very high opinion of yourself and it spoils you. You didn't help me. Do not consider me among those saved by you. Adieu!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Serjey

Only stating the facts, I help folks to save them from being scammed and you.........don't.

All you do is have a pop at those that have 'tried' to as you say 'care' and blame Paypal for your own mistake.

No i didn't help you, it was a shame you did not ask for advice BEFORE being scammed.  Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Fory
Contributor
Contributor

I read through this whole thing and not once was the question properly answered. The question was "how do I report a scammer?" It wasn't anything more than that and it was taken to a whole nother level of stupidity. There are people like me who come on here to learn something not listen to schoolchildren argue. Now, would anyone like to answer the question of how you report a scammer 'in the U.S' since no one wants to answer the first question.

I found someone using a discord to scam people and I am trying to put an end to this. Will anyone assist?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.