gumtree scam

hkinnaird
New Community Member
absolutely fuming spending time advertising my car on gumtree to have someone email me 10 mins after it's been on sounding keen to buy didn't want to view car was death and in a wheelchair courier was going to pick up car etc. sounded dodgey at this point googled it and was scam ! disgusting that this happens avoid - lauraandreaphillips ! on gmail account
Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hkinnaird

Scam has been going on for years, just read the board.

Also they often use hijacked email addresses etc so best you edit your thread as you may have posted an innocent persons contact info who is trying to recover their account.

Remember there is NO PAYPAL SELLER PROTECTION if you use it for any type of motor vehicle.

Cash on collection or direct bank transfer is much safer.

************************************

I volunteer my time on here to help you, so leaving kudos or marking one of my posts as a "solution" would be appreciated.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pearofondon
New Community Member

same scenario ,  same  scam  you can beaware of them as follow :

"Great! i am willing to pay your full asking price as i urgently need to buy it for my cousin but due to my health conditions (hearing loss and i'm presently in a wheelchair) i will not be able to come personally for pick up.I have read through the advert and i'm satisfied with it.
I have a mover that would help me to pick it up at your location after payment has been received,i'll be paying you via PayPal  
If you could tell me your location, i'll contact the mover now."

received from : ****

Post edited by Moderator as per Community Guidelines.
Login to Me Too

Chuweis
Contributor
Contributor

She is now using ***** at gmail.com

And a fake account pretend it is from PayPal service at paypal.co.uk <pphelpdeskservice at gmail.com>

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Chuweis

Best to edit and remove that email address from this public board.

Scammers use hijacked email accounts and you may well be posting an innocent persons email address who is trying to regain access to it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

josefneilson
New Community Member

I just had it today and yesterday from *** asking for £380.00 disappointing. She asked for my PC. Stating she deaf... Well I'm deaf and it's not nice to play deafness game 😞

Telling me to pay £380 and threating to take legal action against me.

Post edited by Moderator as per Community guidelines

Login to Me Too

1ronm4n
Contributor
Contributor

We had the same issue from this person. 

"Take the advert down I really want the item, I am in a wheel chair so can not collect it but will send a courier and I want it to go to my cousin in Africa."

The fake paypal email address was: s****

Dont get caught out by this absolutly disgusting person who claims to be deaf, in a wheel chair and unable to leave the house. 

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is!

Login to Me Too

aaronpinkus95
New Community Member

i had the exact same problem saying they had sent the payment with the fake email address just wondering what you guys did in the situation i just replied to the original persons email saying thankfully i have realised this is a scam and will be reporting this to paypal?

Login to Me Too

popal65
New Community Member

I'ver reported it too, absolutely disgusting. Anyone contacted by **** 

STAY AWAY

Post edited by Moderator as per Community guidelines

Login to Me Too

moomin23
New Community Member

Same story. Someone called Victoria emailed to say she wanted my item for her cousin but couldn't collect because she was deaf and in a wheelchair. She wanted to pay via paypal, asking me to take the ad down straight away and stating that she would contact her courier to uplift. Despite me telling her that I would like her courier to pay me cash (the item was only £60) upon uplift, she came back to me still trying to make a paypal payment, telling me how easy it was to set up a paypal account and giving me the paypal web address. It's ridiculous. I sincerely hope others haven'

@hkinnairdwrote:
absolutely fuming spending time advertising my car on gumtree to have someone email me 10 mins after it's been on sounding keen to buy didn't want to view car was death and in a wheelchair courier was going to pick up car etc. sounded dodgey at this point googled it and was scam ! disgusting that this happens avoid - lauraandreaphillips ! on gmail account

t been caught out for larger sums of money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.