email says account closed

ppcab
New Community Member

Help please

I received an email today saying that my bank had refused payment and therefore the account had been removed from paypal. When checking my account tonight the account is still showing and all payments appear completed. The payment refused was from the 15/8/10 and I have bought other items since which are all saying completed...I'm very confused!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

KentGirl
New Community Member

Hi there, If you mean your bank account, then I had the same email yesterday, which has caused me a bit of a panic!

I got email saying a transfer was attempted, and it came back as Bank Account Closed.  Well my bank are adamant that my account is not closed, and do not know why this has happened.

I have tried phoning paypal about a dozen times last night, but got cut off every single time.  I resorted to emailing them last night, but am yet to receive a response.  My bank account details have all been taken off my paypal account now.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

These e-mails mean that a Direct Debit payment from your bank has failed, the automatic information our system received was interpreted as meaning the reason the DD failed was because the bank was closed. To be honest, this is not always 100% correct as there are a limited number of ways such information can be transmitted electronically.

What is important is that the Direct Debit payment did not complete. I would advise checking with your bank if the DD is still set up with PayPal or whether it was cancelled (for whatever reason). If it was cancelled then you might need to remove your bank and then add it back to your account again and re-set up the bank funding. If it was not then I would query why your DD request was declined.

Login to Me Too

David_L
Contributor
Contributor

This sounds exactly like the problem I had, and about which I posted in a new thread. In my case the bank assures me that no request for a direct debit was made by Paypal. Clearly there is a problem *with the Paypal system*, Paypal need to sort it out as it's not the fault of the bank.

David.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

as an update on this, anyone who was with Alliance and Leicester and are now with Santander please see the below thread:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Account-limits-and-verification/Problems-with-Santander-taking-o...

thanks.

Login to Me Too

David_L
Contributor
Contributor

I went through all the palaver of re-instating my bank account on Paypal following the procedure described in the post by "Paypal_john", including waiting for the two "confirmation payments" to show up in my bank statement (which they did).

And then the following day I get identical emails to the two that I got on September 24th telling me that my bank account has been removed AGAIN!

No other organisation that I pay by direct debit has had the least problem in taking money from my account, so why does Paypal find it so hard to do?

Another curious point is that on neither occasion when my bank account has been removed was a request to transfer money refused by my bank. The Paypal computer seems to issue these "account removed" emails at random.

David.

Login to Me Too

CDH

This is *NOT* Paypal's fault, it's Santander's (the bank that's taken over Alliance & Leicester, Abbey National etc.). There have been quite a lot of complaints about these guys since they transferred everyone's account to their system from your old bank's system, particularly, with direct debit going awry.

The only thing I can think of is that the sort code for Santander is different than my old A & L account. Santander did send me an email though which told me I didn't need to alter anything, so I'm a little miffed that my account has now been removed from paypal.

I entered it again yesterday with the new sort code, so hopefully, that'll sort it. If my next payment fails, I'm going to give Santander a piece of my mind, that is if I can get through of course.

EDIT: Oops! Just read your post Paypal John. At least that confirms my suspicion about the sort-code change. Thanks.

Also - If you really are thinking of blaming Paypal, maybe you should look HERE

Login to Me Too

cpholt
New Community Member

Hi, just posted about this on another thread but it must be a paypal issue as I am with Natwest and exactly the same has happened to me - it is so annoying

Login to Me Too

BigRobUK
New Community Member

Hi, I have my bank account with Halifax and have confirmed it is still active and I recieved a similar email today 15/12/10 and it appears my bank account details have been removed. Must be a PayPal problem please resolve.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.