Why are Paypal transactions from bank account so vague?

urbanfox146
Contributor
Contributor

Checked my bank statement this afternoon and noticed that about £75 had been Transferred to Paypal. Checked my PP account and everything I'd ordered recently had been paid for by Direct Debit and my balance was zero.

Rang up the bank, thinking they might have a bit more information than the incredibly vague 'Transfer - Paypal' that my statement says and they didn't. Rang up PayPal and as its not gone to my PayPal account, they're going to have to investigate it which will take a few weeks.

Why does the transaction have to be so vague? If I buy something from a shop on my card, the transaction will tell me the name/number/location or whatever of the shop.Surely it would make this sort of thing much, much easier to settle and clear up if the PayPal transaction tells you where the money has gone, e.g. 'Paypal - thief@gmail.com'

Presumably there's a reason that something so simple isn't already in place...

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there urbanfox146,

If the transaction is not showing on your own PayPal account we can run a search once we receive a copy of your bank statement.

I would encourage you to double check with any family members that may have a PayPal account, often times payment like this are for subscriptions/eBay seller fees that are taken out monthly. 

Let us know how you get on!

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too

urbanfox146
Contributor
Contributor

I sent a scan of the bank statement off a day or two after reporting the issue and have had no contact since - not even a confirmation that it had been recieved and was being dealt with. The link I was given in the first instance seemed to be mainly for the upload of identity documents anyway.

I'm quite disappointed at the lack of contact and seemingly interest in investigating the issue and indeed the difficulty in doing so. While there are plenty of links to report unauthorised use of my PayPal account, there is nothing for reporting unauthorised transactions to a PayPal account from a personal bank account. I still find it utterly baffling that there is not so much as an account name/number or transaction number included on the actual transaction as it would show on a bank statement, as I pointed out to start with, it would make identifying the source/destination of payments much easier.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.