Were sorry but the paypal security key is not supported.....

mark2410
Contributor
Contributor

for some reason i can no longer log into the paypay android app.  all i get is the abouve key not supported message and then it wont let me do anything else.  what the **bleep** is wrong? it used to work fine, ive changed nothing settings wise and its happeneing on both phones.  the security "send a text" thing is activated and still works but the app just will not.

what has caused this and how to fix it?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Have you contacted Tech Support, if not, that would be your next option.

https://ppmts.custhelp.com/app/home

Login to Me Too

R_Arblaster
New Community Member

It's not just the android version it's happening with the iphone.

Login to Me Too

scirica
New Community Member

Just got off the phone with PayPal Support. This is a temporary issue until the security key functionality can be updated for the mobile apps. In the meantime, log in to your account from the web, go to Settings, then More Settings, and Security Key.  Inactivate your security key and the iphone app will work. Look for future updates in the App store and when they say this has been fixed you can re-active the Security Key process.

Login to Me Too

Makton
New Community Member

I'm not making my account less secure just so I can use the app 😞

Why has it started doing this?

I have used the 2-step login (security key) for PayPal since I was first able to, and have never had a problem with the Mobile App (iOS) until now. How/why did PayPal break it?

Login to Me Too

AndyMoorley
New Community Member

UHD2014

@scirica wrote:

Just got off the phone with PayPal Support. This is a temporary issue until the security key functionality can be updated for the mobile apps. In the meantime, log in to your account from the web, go to Settings, then More Settings, and Security Key.  Inactivate your security key and the iphone app will work. Look for future updates in the App store and when they say this has been fixed you can re-active the Security Key process.

Ah that explains a lot, did they give you an eta on the fix ?

Login to Me Too

guytryingtobuy
New Community Member

Still broke as a joke. Prioritize this defect, guys. If I have to use a method of payment other than paypal, I am less secure. 2 years for two factor to be broken on different browsers and widgets is too much. 

Login to Me Too

Xykon
New Community Member
Had this error message today... Was shopping on https://www.scottsdalegolf.co.uk using Safari browser on iOS and opted to pay with PayPal. I had to open the PayPal mobile site in another tab and deactivate SMS security authentication so I could login on the other browsers tab. Then activate it again two minutes later. They should offer a functionality where the code can be deactivated for 5 minutes and automatically activates again otherwise people will be tempted to leave it off to avoid the hassle. Very strange that I can login on a normal browser tab but not if coming from an online shop to complete a purchase.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.