Using Mobile Phone as security Key

njl04
New Community Member

I set up my mobile phone to act as the security key for my Paypal account and now can not pay for things via ebay from my phone or log in to the mobile app for paypal because each time I enter my password I get asked to add the code from my security device to the end of the password but at this stage of the process I don't have a passcode.

When I log in to Paypal on my PC it isn't a problem, I enter my password as usual and then a new screen appears where I can get a SMS sent to my mobile device. In fact I can pay for things via ebay on my PC too as the sames screen appears where I can request an SMS code.

It is like there is a step missing when using the mobile app or logging in via ebay on my mobile. I have an iPhone 4S and my mobile carrier is EE - is it simply the fact that the phone / phone carrier isn't compatable with the paypal security device settings for mobile payment in ebay etc?

I have current just deactivated by mobile as the security device as 90% of my paypal transactions are through ebay on my mobile. Would love to have a security device for Paypal but there is not point if I can not access the account when I need it!

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

WHOZADONUT
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,  

I have the iPhone 4S and have no trouble accessing Paypal or doing any transactions.

Login to Me Too

LazLondon
New Community Member

Hi,

Would u be as kind as to let us know how come u dont have this issue? or u just dont active the security pin on ur mobile... 

Login to Me Too

LazLondon
New Community Member

let me know if u found a solution..

Login to Me Too

yintaklee
Contributor
Contributor

hi i have the same problem,

tried checking out on ebay.  enter my password.  It says add the security passcode onto the end.  but as my phone is the security key and i have to send a sms to my phone to get security key i have no way of getting the security key.

Its like there is a step missing, where i can get a security passcode sent to my phone.

i am on the iphone 5

and have to resort to using the laptop if i want to purchase anything on ebay

Login to Me Too

G3NDS

Hi

I have the same problem and its frustrating.

I did get an answer from PayPal on the issue.

They said the SMS security was a third party system and they suggest I do not use.

So until its fixed, if ever, I guess we have to rely on password security, or one of their other methods like pin, card (costs money), etc.

Login to Me Too

Keeble2828
New Community Member

Whan I login to Paypal I was asked to use a security code generator, I have never been issued with one. So what happends now.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi Folks,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

A Security Key is a randomly generated 6-digit code that you use as an extra layer of security, along with your password, to protect your PayPal account.

There are 3 ways of getting a Security Key:

• A free app for your smartphone or desktop will generate a code for you every time you open it
  • Request a code to be sent to your mobile by text each time you want to login
  • Get a physical credit-card size Security Key that will generate a code each time you want to login (a one-time fee of £20 applies) 

The easiest way to get a Security Key is by downloading the app. You can do this by searching for the “VIP Access” app in your app store or going directly to the Symantec VeriSign website.

Once you've downloaded the app, activate it in your PayPal account by clicking 'profile', 'My account settings' and in the security key section, click 'get started'.

I hope this helpsSmiley Happy

Conor

Login to Me Too

nup
Contributor
Contributor
I've registered with Paypal to use two of the methods suggested, mobile phone & VIP Access. When prompted by PayPal to send me the security code by SMS this works fine. However use of the VIP Access generated 6 digit code with alternative Paypal prompts that only ask for my password but also expect the 6 digit code does not work. So is there something else that needs to be considered when entering the VIP 6 digit code, perhaps because I've only registered the VIP Credential ID with Paypal today I need to allow a period of time before Paypal recognises the 6 digit codes for my Credential ID? Or is the issue with the use of the VIP Access app on my iPad as each time i go into it it generates a new 6 digit code immediately which I then switch out of into Paypal to append this code to my password. Should I use the immediate code or wait 30 seconds for the next one? What a mess. If you are going to introduce an extra layer of security why make it such a pain to setup & administer.
Login to Me Too

davidt16350
New Community Member

I cannot download App as keeps having problem recognising account. I think one issue is that I lost my Btinternet email address when that all went pear shaped. I now have a Yahoo eMail but every time I try to get it authenticated I am asked for the security code and while I do get one by text if logging in to PayPal etc I never then gert one and as I cannot download the App I gon round in circles. Getting a bit **bleep** off with it really. Trouble is also that eBay link to PayPal is on old defunct eMail and I cannot get new one recogniosed.

Can PayPal help - inj simple easy to use way please. In general computer security is getting so oomplex I would not be surprised if a lot of people give up on it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.