Skype scam?

rawritschar
Contributor
Contributor
This morning I had recieved an email about paying Skype. At the time I recieved the reciept I was asleep! Also, ironically they had sent the email address to my pay pal account; I have three other email accounts but they managed to find out this account is linked to my PayPal account. The email looks like the exact replica for paypals reciept emails: apart from these guys have no terms and conditions/ the font used was a different one normally used. it seemed geniune enough to get out of my bed and change all my passwords. then I realised its a fake but still potential threats. They also had at the bottom of the email something that said 'If you haven't authorized this charge, open a dispute at: https://www.paypal.com/uk/open_dispute and get a full refund.' This looked odd, so stupidly I signed in with my account: the website was not PayPal! It was this: http://www.dpselfhelp.com/forum/uploads/ANIME/confirm/paypaI/revieord9783649/skype/ipoi/login.html?w... This terrified me and I literally changed all my passwords again how do I report this terrible e-crime? for someone who is as computer savy as I am to fool for this is ridic!!! Help spread the word!!
Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Phew sorry you clicked the link but glad you changed your password after.

Did you change your security questions as well? If not i would do so.

Pointless reporting it, the scammers did not know that your email address was connected to your paypal address.

They send out thousands and thousands of these spoof messages and of course by the law of averages a lot of people with have an email addy they send to attached to their paypal account.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Access-and-security/Scam-Email-regarding-payment-to-Skype-Inc/m-...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Burnsey96
New Community Member

Hi - THANKGOD, ive just logged onto this forum as I have had the exact same email today and Im frantic. Reason being is that I bought an item from an online website last week and I paid by debit card (not paypal)  and it turns out after several calls to my bank that the money was taken in Beiijing and subsequently i have not received the item. The today I get this Skype email from paypal - I did not click on the link - so am I ok???

Any advice would be great as I ve tried to suspend my paypal account and everything .

Thanks 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

The email is a spoof, as long as you did not click the link you are fine.

I get at least one of these every couple of months and just delete them.

Remember paypal will never send you an email expecting you to click on a link or download a file to enter sensitive log in or financial info.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

stuffystuff
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, If you didn't click the link then you should be OK.  Just to be on the safe side change your passwords and security questions under profile when you log in.

Login to Me Too

richardcopp

Its nice to know that this is happening else where. I had the same email and at first glance it looked real. After looking through the email and reading through these forums its spam. Thanks for posting

Login to Me Too

rawritschar
Contributor
Contributor
I changed my question aswell!! such a relief to that! Hopefully nobody else gets involved in this very clever yet terrible spoof!
Login to Me Too

heaviz
New Community Member

today i received this at 17:02 09.06.2013

You sent a payment of 45.65 GBP to Skype

Merchant
You haven't entered any instructions. Shipping address - Unconfirmed
United Kingdom Postage details
The seller hasn’t provided any postage details yet.

Description Unit price Qty Amount 6 month subscription 45.65 GBP 1 45.65 GBP

Subtotal 45.65 GBP Total 45.65 GBP Payment45.65 GBP Payment sent to sal.e@skype.com  

If you haven't authorized this charge, open a dispute at:

https://www.paypal.co.uk/helpcenter/open_dispute and get a full refund.

what a fake shiit dont click the link

Login to Me Too

MarkOfDevon
New Community Member
This scam is still out there. I received an email this morning for a 3 month Skype subscription again with the option to use a link to PayPal to question the transaction. Instead of this I just logged into PayPal via a browser to check that no payment had been taken. DO NOT use the links embedded in the email.
Login to Me Too

blummy36
New Community Member

Just received the same mail asking for £39.00. I did click on the link but as soon as I saw the page asking for all of the bank details relaised it was fake. Advised paypal but looks like they are very aware of this.

I just emailed him and told him he was a &^%&^%&£$%*(&*^$^

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.