Sid Shaw - Marine Engineer - Scam

Jean125
Contributor
Contributor

I placed an ad today to sell my car and within 30 minutes I received a text asking for more details and to reply by email, which I did.

I then received the following:

I really appreciate your response to my text message, i am presently working on the sea as a marine engineer which enable me not make a call that is the reason i try to send a text message to you via the sms web.i am satisfied with  your ad as it was listed on the site  and am ready to buy for my Son,i will not be able to come take a look due to my work. I will have the shipper to come pick it up from you and delivered to my son after i have made the payment to your account.i will make the payment to you via paypal and i hope you have a paypal account  so that you can be able to received the payment, If you are not a paypal user you can set up a paypal with your bank account you will just go on www.paypal.co.uk and attached your bank account  to your email using paypal so that you can be able to get the money on your bank account .After the payment has been cleared,i will have my shipper to pick it up to deliver to my son.I will be waiting to have the necessary details to make the payment to you.
Your paypal email..
Price Amount...
You Phone number..
Hope to have a reply back from you
Your Regards

It seemed too good to be true, so I googled his name and job and this forum popped up.  Thank you all so much for stopping me from taking this further. 

Do you think that I am at risk having given him my phone number and email address?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No hes not interested in your phone or email number, he just wants to scam you for the money and if he knows you are not going to pay then he will move on to his next victim.

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jean125
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reassurance. 

This has just made me feel so uncomfortable and wary of anyone asking to buy the car now.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

DO NOT accept paypal for a car.

There is NO seller protection for motor vehicles on paypal.

Cash on collection only or instant bank transfer when the buyer is at your home and seen the vehicle.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jean125
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you "Kernowlass".

I will definitely ask for cash or bank transfer.

Login to Me Too

MrT220
New Community Member

Tried and Failed Miserably!

Who in their Right Minds would Fall for this Scumbag? Not Enough is Being done to Remove **bleep** like this Waster!

Now AKA Adriana Davis adrianadavis0009 at g mail dot com

Be Very Aware.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.