Scam email?

auroz07
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  I recently got an email that looked like genuine paypal email saying I've spent 25 dollars on Digitalocean. It was sent from (not allowed to post the email) and I decided to click on the "resolution centre" hyperlink and thats when I realised its a scam. The connection began with a shortned link ow.ly or something like that and then my browser showed red screen saying this website is dangerous etc.

I get these emails like once a month but when looking at my account it the money hasn't been taken. It appears in my inbox as "Focused" which usually only shows verified emails. I almost fell for it because the email looked exactly the same like the one I get when buying something. Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

MasterJawa
New Community Member

I've also received a mail from a strange email adress (with a receipt) which was informing me I've apparently bought 2*25$ merchandises from Digital Ocean, Inc. today at 4.31AM thanks Paypal.

What was stranged first it's the receipt was in english but I am french and secondly my blue card saved in Paypal was expired since the first of this month.

Innocently, I clicked on the link that was on the Transaction ID to figure out what the hell exactly was this and Google immediatly warned me of the danger of the website so I decided to not go further and checked on the internet to figure out the problem and I found this post.

If you receive this strange mail guys just don't pay it intention and black list it straightaway. It's a deceptive mail which is a scam !

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hello auroz07,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

Any time you receive an email about activity on your PayPal account, the safest way to confirm the emails’ validity is to log in to your PayPal account via the PayPal website (not using the links in the email received). Any of the activity reported in the email will be available to view. When you receive a payment, you’ll see the money in your account right away.

If you still have those emails, please forward to review@paypal.com.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.