Scam - Sharon Sharman GUMTREE UK - Usual courier stuff....

Arnold12

Here is the email exchange:

Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my cousin and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location.

Regarding the payment i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?
Awaiting your reply soon...

Hello again,
I am glad to inform you that i have made the payment! PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your email.
I had a little problem with the courier agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their head office via moneygram,but due to me being wheelchair i'm unable to get to a moneygram shop to send it. I added the £295 they charged for the pick up and £40 for the moneygram charges,you will receive the total sum of £410. 

You'll send £295 to them via moneygram today and here is the details needed for the transfer below:

First name: TOKE
Last name: BADARU
Address: Kano 23407

Please let me know once you've sent the money so that i can make necessary arrangements.

---An attempt to help 🙂
Hi Sharron,
Thats great, thank you for sending. I will check the PayPal payment has cleared. Although, I can easily arrange a local courier for much less than the £295 you are being charged. Literally, around £20. Are you sure you want to pay that much? It seems extremely over priced for the distance travelling and the cost of your item.

Cont.......I am in North Lanarkshire but it's heading to Nigeria so using the courier would be the best option.

What did you mean?I have already sent the money and it has been totally deducted from my account,did you not read the confirmation email from PayPal?

I have already sent the money,did you not read the confirmation email from PayPal??i will  report you to PayPal and the police as you dont want to follow their instructions!
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

dianagabor
New Community Member

It seems like no one it's able to stop these guys.

they have changed names and email addresses, but are still able to send phishing emails.

see below, a similar scenario:

Great! please consider it sold and remove the adverts as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my condition as am on wheelchair and I'm just recovering from heart surgery so I'm home-bound.
I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after
you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today.

In order to avoid mistakes could you confirm the exact amount that i need to send into your PayPal account?

OK, that's fine..i will keep you updated regarding payment and courier.

I am glad to inform you that i have made the payment! PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your email.
I had a little problem with the agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their head office via MoneyGram, but due to my health conditions i'm unable to get to a MoneyGram shop to send it. I added the £210 they charged for the pick up and £40 for the MoneyGram charges,you will receive the total sum of £400
You'll send £210 to them via MoneyGram today and here is the details needed for the transfer below:

First name: Korede
Last name: Favour

Please let me know once you've sent the money so that i can make necessary...

Hi,
What's the update?have you completed the transfer yet?please get back to me asap!

And the so called transaction made into my husband's account.

Login to Me Too

Leannejeffrey
New Community Member
Received same email this morning. Pretty much word for word. Scamming **bleep**
Login to Me Too

Graham85
New Community Member
"TINA ROY"
Great!please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my Cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.
I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. 
Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?
Please get back to me asap...

ME
Hi Tina,

Pick up location is **** ***, for my own security as I’m sure you can appreciate I will release my full address upon receipt of cleared PayPal funds, however I shall take the listing down from eBay now, and from Gumtree once item is paid. My email address for PayPal is the same that you are emailing, many thanks,

"TINA ROY"
OK that's fine,I've contacted the courier agent so I'm waiting for their response. Meanwhile you can send me your PayPal email and registered name so that i can send the money right away and choose a good time for the pick up after payment has been received. 

Just to clarify,how much should i send into your PayPal account?

ME
The amount to be made payable is £200 through friends and family option as I’m not a business. 

PayPal - ***********@*******
My name will auto populate when you make your payment. 

Many thanks 

"TINA ROY"
OK, that's fine..i will make the payment shortly and i will email you once i have done it.

ME
Ok great will look out for your email. 

Thanks. 

"TINA ROY"
Hello again,
I am glad to inform you that i have made the payment! PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your email ********@*******
I had a little problem with the agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their head office via MoneyGram,but due to me being in wheelchair i'm unable to get to a MoneyGram shop to send it. I added the £300 they charged for the pick up and £40 for the MoneyGram charges,you will receive the total sum of £540. 
You'll send £300 to them via MoneyGram today and here is the details needed for the transfer below:

First name: Oyin
Last name: OLADELE
Address: Kano 23407

Please let me know once you've sent the money so that i can make necessary arrangements.

ME
Thank you for the scam, I shall not be proceeding with this transaction, I shall inform gumtree of your fraudulent scam.

Never heard anything back from them, it has been reported to Gumtree and i was advised they send to thousands this time of year, in hope some poor sorry soul believes it and sends money. never do they follow up on these scams if found out.

@Leannejeffrey wrote:
Received same email this morning. Pretty much word for word. Scamming **bleep**

Login to Me Too

Jnetta18
New Community Member

GUMTREE SCAM Similar worded emails re gumtree from tel number   supposedly called  who used a gmail.com acct

item was less than £300 yet they were adding another £300 for shipping!  

They also ‘needed’ a Paypal acct to ‘send’ the whole amount and asked me to pay the balance to Western Union

details as follows

First name.

Last name.

Zip Code

City Istanbul

Country. Turkey.         That was March 14 I reported it to my bank.  Now Paypal is aware too but what are they doing about it?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.