Scam Email regarding payment to Skype Inc

Pam06
New Community Member

Paypal users please beware of a scam Email regarding payments to Skype Inc.  I have just received an Email supposedly from Paypal regarding payment for 3 months subscriptin to Skype Inc.  The Email states that if you have not authorised this payment then please click on "cancel payment" button.

Please ignore this Email as I do not believe this is from Paypal as it does not state my name, ebay membership or Email address as the recipient - it simply welcomes the Paypal Client.

Also when I clicked on cancel payment it redirected me to another site which I immediately closed without entering any personal details.

Thanks Pam

Login to Me Too
170 REPLIES 170

louloublu2
Contributor
Contributor

i have recieved 3 of these emails

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hey there, unfortunately these fraudsters will just use any name they like. I imagine Skype are also getting plenty of contacts on this issue as well. You should also realise that you are not being specifically targeted, dozens if not hundreds of these e-mails are sent out to any e-mail addresses, even those with PayPal or Skype accounts.

You obviously are aware of it, but just to re-emphasise, these e-mails have nothing to do with either PayPal or Skype.

Login to Me Too

moirajane
Contributor
Contributor

I get at least one of these a month - in fact this month my payment went up 😉

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

A big well done to Pam06 for calling it out Smiley Happy 

Login to Me Too

suzie35
New Community Member

I have just received this email as well. Realised it wasn't genuine by looking at the sender address,also by logging into my paypal account and seeing no such transaction to skype. These people make me sick.

suzie35

Login to Me Too

kranniemon66
Contributor
Contributor

I got this too today - I knew I had no funds in my paypal account and wondered how it could be so and hadnt bought anything recently with paypal.. . went to paypal to check if there was a transaction there and nothing.. reported to spoof@paypal.com

🙂

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

It's good to see we have so many vigilant customers! Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

CharlieHollis
New Community Member

I got one of these while I was away on holiday last month. I cannot believe that so many people have been receiving them for so long and they are still getting away with it, although, apart from giving us all panic attacks they don't seem to be gaining anything! I have emailed Paypal but thanks to all for posting. Will do the spoof@paypal as well.

Login to Me Too

Beaniebug
New Community Member

Received the same Skype email this morning - reported to spoof - be careful!

Beanie

Login to Me Too

smudga1964
New Community Member

Hello paypal users

I have received a email from skype  asking for me to authorise payment ,i opened the email and the address from the sender was not skype the main sender was skype inc with  a email address following the email looked very convincing at first sight but my user name and paypal details were not included so i have ignored it and reported the matter to paypal with the spoof email address included

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.