Really from PayPal?

Dillonmasters
New Community Member

Hello, 

I am being asked to send $600 via Western Union to cover courrier fees. I received two e-mails in my spam folder about this even though all my paypal e-mails come through my regular inbox and are never flagged as scams by my e-mail service. The sender has made their name look like one of the trusted paypal e-mail addresses and are sending the e-mail and requesting correspondences to be sent to a non-paypal e-mail. I am to be credited the $600 and the agreed upon sale price of the item to my PayPal account after the $600 is forwarded. This doesn't make sense to me that I pay for their arranged courrier service and then am reimburesed, as well as using a variation of one of paypals official e-mail addresses as their name to be identified as such, but corresponding under a different e-mail address.

I am sending the e-mail's to spoof@paypal.com, but wanted to reach out here too where I found that I should be sending suspicious e-mails to said address for others feedback and to see if this type of shipping payment was a regular thing or a definitive red flag for scammers. They told me to check my spam and unwated mail folders, but nothing paypal ever goes there, it's always sent to my regular inbox and to my suprise, these mails were in my unwanted mail instead.

Thank you in advnace for your help!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dillonmasters

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dillonmasters

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Dillonmasters
New Community Member

Thank you! 

Cheers

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.