Possible Scammer - Sarah Biggs

moggie
New Community Member

I received this text below on my phone from Sarah Biggs (with no mobile number) within 1 hhour of psoting an ad on Gumtree (even though GUmtree said the ad might take an hour to be visible?). Sounds familiar

"Great! i am willing to pay your full asking price as i urgently need to buy it for my cousin but due to my health conditions (hearing loss and i'm presently in a wheelchair) i will not be able to come personally for pick up.I have read through the advert and i'm satisfied with it.

I have a mover that would help me to pick it up at your location after payment has been received,i'll be paying you via PayPal  

If you could tell me your location, i'll contact the mover now".

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@moggie

Yep same scam been ongoing for years.

But personally i would not be posting the name as they are normally fake OR they have stolen email addys etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@moggie

Yep same scam been ongoing for years.

But personally i would not be posting the name as they are normally fake OR they have stolen email addys etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ellie04
New Community Member

ive had th same thing today , and now saying theyve sent payment and i need to go to the post office to use moneygram even to the exstent of telling me they have an agent who deals with their collections as this person is housebound due to having throat cancer and surgery! ive pleasently told them im going through paypal to have there funds returned to them and yet there still insisting on getting moneygram , this is the first time ive used paypal to receive payment think i will be more cautious now , hope nobody gets caught out by this ! 

mogg

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@moggie

Hi can I mention the 3 golden rules  >>

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg western union or moneygram.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tbevan25
New Community Member

I'VE HAD PRETTY MUCH THE SAME SCAM..."WILL PAY FULL PRICE CAN I PAY VIA PAYPAL ETC." FROM A GUMTREE ADVERT.

THIS TIME THE NAME WAS VICTORIA BIGGS. I WAS TOLD THE PERSON WAS DISABLED , COULDN'T GET TO A WESTERN UNION

OFFICE AND THE COURIER NEEDED PAYMENT UP FRONT. I THEN RECEIVED A VERY AUTHENTIC  BILL FROM "PAYPAL"

WHICH BILLED ME FOR THE COURIERS CHARGE £260 + £40 WESTERN UNION CHARGES ETC. ONLT WHEN I GOOGLED AND FOUND THIS SCAM ALREADY

EXISTED DID I REALISE IT WAS A FRAUD...BE CAREFUL, THESE PEOPLE ARE CONVINCING

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.