Paypal computer failure resulting in wrongful removal of bank account from paypal

David_L
Contributor
Contributor

I recently received two emails, both timed to the same minute, claiming that Paypal had attempted to transfer money from my bank account. Both emails claimed that this attempt had been unsuccessful and as a consequence my bank account had been removed from Paypal. Although both emails were timed to the same minute they disagreed about the reason for failure: one said my account was closed, the other blamed a computer failure. Neither email included a date for this alleged attempt.

The only thing true contained in either email was that my bank account had been removed, in all other respects both emails are lying, well actually it may be true that there was a computer failure, a computer failure at Paypal that is.

On checking with my bank I was told that they had received many similar calls from other customers and suggested this particular problem had affected a goodly number of people.

Does anyone else recognize this story?

David.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

This is probably related to the Santander/Alliance & Leicester issue.

I'm the first to admit that those automated e-mails are not especially helping matters!

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Account-limits-and-verification/Problems-with-Santander-taking-o...

Login to Me Too

cpholt
New Community Member

this is exactly what has happened to me, i saw the emails and presumed they were spam until I have just gone to withdraw money to my bank account and it is no longer on my paypal account!!!!  What do I do now, how and why did this happen, I don't want to wait to set up another bank account.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Thanks

@David_L wrote:

I recently received two emails, both timed to the same minute, claiming that Paypal had attempted to transfer money from my bank account. Both emails claimed that this attempt had been unsuccessful and as a consequence my bank account had been removed from Paypal. Although both emails were timed to the same minute they disagreed about the reason for failure: one said my account was closed, the other blamed a computer failure. Neither email included a date for this alleged attempt.

The only thing true contained in either email was that my bank account had been removed, in all other respects both emails are lying, well actually it may be true that there was a computer failure, a computer failure at Paypal that is.

On checking with my bank I was told that they had received many similar calls from other customers and suggested this particular problem had affected a goodly number of people.

Does anyone else recognize this story?

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.