Paypal account limited asks to upload passport identification bank statement ID

buttonmoon10
New Community Member

Had EBAY and PAYPAL a/c over 10 years old without probs. Account frozen account  as sold items to the value of £1900.

Asked to upload PASSPORT and BANK STATEMENT for EXTRA SECURITY CHECK and to unblock account.

Reluctantly uploaded PASSPORT and BANK STATEMENT with my SIGNATURE BLANKED OUT; 2. my PASSPORT NUMBER BLANKED OUT and BANK BALANCE BLANKED OUT. My name, address, account number and photo were clearly visible.

They are now asking for ALL THE FIELDS to be visible.

PAYPAL seem to be asking for PHOTO ID, COPY OF SIGNATURE, PASSPORT NUMBER and BANK BALANCE TRANSACTIONS. Seems way excessive. This is more than high street banks, (which Paypal is not).

Despite PAYPAL's reassurances that these documents would be held securely and without risk, what with all the recent, well publicised reports of leaks of information and fraud that have affected some of the most secure companies, you can forgive my caution.

I don't want to give this information to PAYPAL as I am concerned about ID theft (I know, Mr, Mrs and Ms Paypal commentators, you'll tell me that PAYPAL is totally safe, your information won't be at risk, etc, etc, BUT WE ARE AT RISK, small may it be). The internet is not 100 percent safe. ID theft happens and even the most secure websites are not safe from attacks). Limiting the amount of sensitive information we exchange on these sites sensible (unless, of course it is ABSOLUTELY VITAL) People with 10 years of service and EXCELLENT FEEDBACK are not CRIMINALS.

Please can you suggest a solution that doesn't involve AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT of personal information BEING PASSED through the internet (or by fax, to be then placed on Paypal's servers).

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

clairepagan
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same problem.  And I hate Paypal because of it, and they will lose out on my money.

I also send in ID but with a small amount of my passport blanked out.  I have nothing to hide but I REFUSE to be forced into giving something I don't want to provide, and I agree with the above poster about sending and holding info online being insecure.  I have a right to protect my identity.

I tried phoning them and they said they would not let me close my account or withdraw my credit balance which is held on there.

I have a complaint proceeding with the Financial Ombudsman and I urge all others facing this issue to visit the Financial Ombudsman webpage, fill out their form and make a claim.

Paypal have no legal jurisdiction to withhold my money from me so I am also considering taking legal action against them in the Small Claims Court.

Such behaviour, Paypal, is bullying, and I will not stand for it.

There are plenty of other options available for transferring money online and I'll be choosing one of these now.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_DavidR

Hi there,

Welcome to the PayPal Community.

We require to see all the information on the photo ID and you can blank out your balance on your bank statement or if you prefer you can send a utility bill instead.

All information provided to us is kept as safe as your financial information that you register.

-David R

Login to Me Too

clairepagan
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately David has missed the point here.

I don't WANT to give Paypal ALL the information on my photo ID, and certainly not my passport number, so someone can hack into Paypal's system and make a copy of it later!  And I don't believe any BS about systems being secure, because sooner or later, they all get hacked.

I DID prove my name and address by submitting my passport scan blanking the number but it wasn't accepted.

It is my choice to protect my identity in this way.   What Paypal also don't tell you is that they want your passport number to run a 'passport check' on you. They should be transparent about this when asking for the information, and they are not.

I am now very happily using Transferwise instead of Paypal.  They have not asked for any ID whatseover!  So this just proves Paypal don't HAVE to do what they are doing right now.  There are many different options available out there people.  If you don't want to be forced into providing certain information about yourself, you *don't* have to!  It's a competitive market out there....  vote with your money!

Paypal are now losing out on the fees/transfers I'm making with Transferwise....  😄 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_DavidR

I understand and wish you all the best going forward.

-David R

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.