Paypal Scam

Kitb

Hi everyone,

I have been receiving emails from an alleged PayPal service account which I have reason to believe is not genuine.

The account is service @ intl.paypal. bg or service @ paypal. bg.

I first received a couple of emails letting me know that there was an issue with a payment for one of my purchases which I (never) made. The emails asked me to confirm my details so that the payment could go through. When I didn't respond, I received another string of emails letting me know that my account was blocked because apparently I violated some terms by either providing false information or receiving money 'that was potentially related to fraudulent activity'. But fear not, they can fix the problem for me if I only give them all my personal details.

Here is why I think the email is not genuine:

1. The emails are sent to my secondary email which I have no existing account on and is not listed as a valid email address on my actual PayPal account (so PayPal would have no way of knowing they could contact me on that email at all). 

2. The email itself is poorly written, no logos are to be seen and it has a very general greeting 'Dear Client' (PayPal always addresses customers by name). 

3. The biggest proof that this is nothing but a scam: I followed the link for 'confirming' my details and it led me to what appeared to be the PayPal log in page. I then entered the email they were contacting me on (the one without an existing account) and typed in a random password (literally typed in hocuspocus) and, lo and behold, I 'logged in' successfully! I was then forwarded to a page which asked for all my details - my full names, my DoB, my card details and my address. 

I have forwarded the scam email to the PayPal team but thought I'd post here as well in case someone else is contacted by them. 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.