Payment Receipt for payment I have never made

Benno287
New Community Member

Hello,

This is probably a common phishing technique; but I just wanted to run it by you.

This morning I have recieved an email looking as if it was from service @ paypal.co.uk, but that's the name; the sender was actually test @ ifctest.net

The email looks really genuine with a real animated advert for paypal etc and real links to real paypal pages.

There is a hyper link: "If you did not initiate this transaction, we recommend that you go to: Manage/Cancel Transaction" which links to metrodesignoffice.com/tsl

Obviously I have not clicked it.

Definetly attempted fraud?

Should I do anything?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Benno287

Firstly if the email addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Benno287
New Community Member

Thanks,

It actually said Dear [and then my email address / username],

Something fairly easy to manage with mailmerge I guess.

Login to Me Too

Pool_Gaz
New Community Member

I received a similar email this morning, also starting Dear <my email> and with a "Manage/Cancel Transaction" link  - it links to what appears to be a very good copy of the paypal login screen, but is actually (as stated by Benno287) a link to: http://078d16338.metrodesignoffice.com/tsl

The email even has an embedded animated gif for the "Help Turkeys Dash" which gives it an air of authenticity.

I did not know about the Dear XYZ way of checking authtenticity from Paypal until I read this forum entry right now.  The thing that made this suspicious for me was the purchase from 'Glossybox' which appears to be a real and reputable online cosmetics store, but as a middle aged man with 2 sons, I do not buy much make-up these days... 

I expect other's similar emails have random real online stores being used in the same way. 

It also warns you that this Paypal transaction may not show on your account yet, basically in their hope that when you check your account and see that the transaction isn't there then you will be fooled into thinking that this is normal as it is pending.   

Be warned everyone...

Screenshot_paypal.gif

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hi Pool_Gaz,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Can you forward the email you received to spoof@paypal.com? Then delete it from your inbox and sent items.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.