PLEASE HELP ME

cheshiresean
Contributor
Contributor

At 2am this morning my acccount was hit by 5 transactions of £60 each within a minute all paid to the same person. 

I contacted paypal as soon as I saw it when I woke up this morning and they just responded by saying couldn't see any fraudulent activity therefore case closed. I am devastated.

With seemingly nowhere to go I emailed the scammer asking why they did it?   surprisingly I got an email back which says

"I haven't, I was doing it for a mate because their account wasn't working. I will get it resolved as quick as possible."

I am waiting. Of course I emailed Payapl immediately and just got a automated email back. Can someone please tell me what I need to do. I am desperate. Thanks you so much

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cheshiresean

Good news.

Change your paypal password AND security questions.

Do a virus and anti-malware scan on your computer as well.

I volunteer my time on here to help you, so leaving kudos or marking one of my posts as a "solution" would be appreciated.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cheshiresean

Firstly i would phone paypal and appeal it, if it was done by someone else then how can they say its not fraudulent if it was not your IP address?????????? Thats appalling service >>>>>>>

Click on the words "Contact" at the bottom of your paypal account summary page and use the phone option (if there is one in the country you are in) > click on the "call us" option on the left (fees "may" apply so check the cost with your phone tariff first, as you sometimes have to wait a while to connect).

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent or say the word "agent".

Secondly if your payments were funded by a credit card contact your card issuer and do a chargeback.

Thirdly email the scammer and say you are going to the police as they can get hold of the email address provider and track them down and tell them you will be doing so unless they refund ALL payments.

Good luck.

************************************

I volunteer my time on here to help you, so leaving kudos or marking one of my posts as a "solution" would be appreciated.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

cheshiresean
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for the advice.  I called (should have done this first - there's a lesson learnt) and they looked at it and apologised for the email received and agreed it was clearly fraud and would refund the money. This of course may take some time and I suspect I might have to make another call before all is well again(!) They asked for the emails which I've now sent them so hopefully this will get sorted very quickly.

Does anyone know how this is possible in the first place? - More to the point is there a way to link a card so that it ONLY takes ebay/paypal fees and refuses transactions if your balance reaches zero? You would think this would be the default position (after draiing my account it went through to my connected card)

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cheshiresean

Good news.

Change your paypal password AND security questions.

Do a virus and anti-malware scan on your computer as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.