Many troubles when using a Chinese PayPal account in the UK

CnZhx
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently in the UK. When I logged in and navigated in my account, most links brought me to the home/register page default to a UK user. This results in practical no access to most of the features related to my account, such as checking service fees, viewing help pages, and even sending email to support team. So I elevate this problem in this community hoping some PayPal employees could help identify, report and improve the usability of PayPal account.

In case it helps, I am using Firefox 51.0.1 in a Linux based OS.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CnZhx

Paypal is country specific so if you move country you have to open another paypal account in that country and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

CnZhx
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @kernowlass,

Thanks for your clarification. I know about the country specific issue with PayPal. But to operate my original account normally should be a necessarity wherever I am, shouldn't it? The problems, however, prevent me from checking details related to my original account, or to say my account from within another country, even I logged in with that account.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CnZhx

But to operate my original account normally should be a necessarity wherever I am, shouldn't it?

No.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CnZhx
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

So from your point of view, no user would need to operate their original account when they moved to another country either permanently or temporarily. This might not be true as a matter of fact.

But I am not going to argue for that issue with you. I just thought it might be helpful to address this issue. But I am not expecting a solution, at least for now, because after some failures of operation, I decided to not use PayPal for what I am going to do.

So, at the end, if PayPal does not think it is necessary for user to use their accounts associated with different countries without glitches, it is PayPal's problem, not mine. And I will not waste time on this any more.

Thanks for your reponses though.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CnZhx

Well to be honest whether you use or do not use paypal is of no interest to me as I have nothing to do with paypal.

All I can do is give you the FACTS I don't make paypals policy, this is a user to user help forum.

If you try and use a Chinese paypal account in the UK then you won't be able to add a UK billing or receiving address and you won't be able to add a UK bank account.

Paypal has to be country specific as different countries allow paypal to offer or not offer different options, and some countries don't allow paypal at all.

So if you move you can still keep your Chinese account if you are likely to return to that country but if you want an account to be useable in the UK then open a second one in this country.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CnZhx
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

It must be because of the bad quality of my expression to make you misunderstand my issue. As a consequence we wasted a lot of time discussing about the country specific usage of PayPal.

I was not (means I have always been) talking about the situation as following description. When I logged into my PayPal account registered using Chinese bank information in the UK, some of the links from my account page, for instance, <https://www.paypal.com/c2/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees>, brought me to the "Sign Up" page default to UK users, instead of showing me the destination page showing "paypal fees" related to a Chinese account. This is because the website uses geoIP or something to determine what should be shown to the user but not considering where does the account currently logged belong.

This behaviour of the website seems not correct. It prevents user from obtaining useful information from his/her account when he/she is not in the country where the account was registered.

I was not trying to add a card issued in the UK to my Chinese account, or something like that. As I stated previously, I was aware of the restrictions related to country-specific operations of PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.