How to hide location+real name info on paypal.me?

Nyapano
Contributor
Contributor

I've got a friend who does a lot of stuff over the internet. She wants to set up paypal.me since some friends asked her to for a birthday gift... But she's not okay with revealing her personal info like that. Is it even possible to not announce your location and real name on the page?

(I'm not sure where it'll go, so since it's about personal info, i'll put it with security)

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

bajopants
New Community Member

i'd also like an answer to this

Login to Me Too

buchu
Contributor
Contributor
We're still waiting for a resolution, paypal....
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Guys,

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum.

PayPal.me is a unique link where your friends and family can send you money. The recipient doesn't have to know your personal information including your email address, just send your PayPal.me link requesting the funds. PayPal.Me is for personal money transfers  between friends and family. If you're providing goods or services, please use paypal.com or the PayPal app to issue money requests.

- Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Miaranwa
New Community Member
That didn't answer or resolve the issue... It still shows our name and location and you can't change anything about that. It's an invasion of privacy.
Login to Me Too

ArcAiN6
Contributor
Contributor

I kind of have to agree with everyone else here..

There's absolutely  NO mention while setting up that paypal will be revealing your name and location.

To top that off, now ANYONE can simply  curl the paypal.me/$$$ url, replacing $$ and start collecting the names, and locations of people.

This is a CLEAR security risk, and should be addressed as such, you're essentially putting the following informaiton onto the internet:
1) Real full name is exposed
2) Location is exposed
3) The fact they use paypal is exposed.

These three things will lead to a massive increase in phishing attempts. Not to mention, by exposing the real full name, and location, nefarious scammers can now take that information and troll social media networks, and start collecting even more personal data...

The fact that paypal is unable, or unwilling to see this as the security risk it really is, shows just how dedicated they are to increasing profits, regardless of the risk, and exposure being thurst upon their customers.

Login to Me Too

fangsofjelly
New Community Member

Why does it not hide the location even when I switch from friends and family to goods and services? I don't want every single person I sell art to on the internet to know what city I live in and my last name... Please fix this!

Login to Me Too

Kme87
This is absolutely ridiculous that paypal will not consider fixing the issues that have been brought to thier attention! We all know that someone within the paypal corp. Has seen an is deliberately ignoring the issue and requests at hand & it extremely offensive & down right hurtful the actions of paypal showing just how much they care about its members privacy concerns & feelings all together! Paypal need be very ashamed & should aknowledge this issue asap if they care at all about the safety, peace of mind & overall well being of all of its members!
Login to Me Too

Ssigma
Contributor
Contributor
Also looking for a way to hide info...
Login to Me Too

Disaster
Contributor
Contributor

I will be using Paypal for my commissions soon, but I seriously don't feel safe with them knowing my entire last name and EXACTLY where I live. Based on the responses from multiple, it sounds like you're telling us not to use our PayPal.me, even if it is an easier way for those people wanting to send us money. I'd be completely okay with showing my first name or something.. And maybe "USA" or just the state, but the location given for goods and services ARE VERY pinpointed for any hacker or person to easily take my information or someone else's.

I beg an administrator or moderator, to consider this. I really think I agree with everyone else. This is very dangerous. At least let us block the city and last name... 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.