Help I think I am being scammed

GK2010
New Community Member

Hi I'm selling in classified ads and basically a scammer has asked to pay via paypal and get movers to collect the item.  They wanted my email address for paypal account.  I had a stupid moment and gave them my email address.  I think I will probably receive dodgy email pretending to be from paypal. 

My current concern is I gave them my email address, can they do anything with this?  Please tell they cannot hack into my account.

Many thanks

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

red-bay
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

They're unlikely to hack into your account, but there are a couple of things to be real careful of

1. Paypal dont offer seller  protection for collected items. That means that if your buyer sends an unauthorised payment, you'll lose any chargeback raised against the payment. Even if they send you a valid payment for goods, then raise an item not received dispute, they'll get their money back. It wont matter if you've video of them collecting it, the policy as it is just now is simple, prove delivery or lose the dispute

2. Like any money transfer company paypal have to deal with spoof emails. Its not uncommon for a seller to receive a message that claims a payment has been made. In short, if the payment isnt in your paypal account, it wasnt made, no matter what the message says

If you've any concerns, ring paypal. Get their number from your account by clicking the contact us tab when signed in, then selecting "call us"

Its up to you to be real cautious when accepting payments, especially where collection is involved Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.