Harrassment from a seller who gained access to my mobile number

MerryMet
Contributor
Contributor

When I joined PayPal I was asked for my contact details, which I needed to give before I could open an account. Fair enough. What I didn't realise was that anyone I had a PayPal transaction with also had access to all my contact details, including my private mobile phone number. I'd checked the site and found the following, so thought my information was safe:

"If you are buying goods or services and pay through PayPal, we may provide the seller with the delivery address for the goods and your billing address to complete your transaction."

Late last night I received a series of 'intense' phone calls on my mobile phone from a seller on Ebay who had received a polite but 'neutral' feedback from me on an inexpensive item I'd bought from him. I'd checked his feedback and saw that someone else had done the same and I put it down to experience. In the end I had to turn my phone off.

I raised this on the Ebay chat list this morning because I was somewhat alarmed that he'd gained access to my mobile number, which I never give out to anyone I don't trust. Someone told me that PayPal make ALL my contact details available to people I have transactions with.

I tried to delete my phone number on my PayPal account to stop this happening again but was told I HAD to give a contact number.

So, how can I ensure that my phone number isn't given out to all the people I have PayPal transactions with. I don't object to PayPal having mu number for their sole use but surely, if they feel the need to give out contact details to other users I'm paying, wouldn't my email address be sufficient?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MerryMet

Paypal do not give out buyers telephone numbers, I am a seller and have never had anything but the buyers email address and address.

However EBAY do give out that number, if you go to advanced search top of every ebay page > click on contact member in the left column you will see that you just fill in the details and your telephone number is given to the seller and vice versa.

Either member of a transaction can request contact details from Ebay.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MerryMet

Paypal do not give out buyers telephone numbers, I am a seller and have never had anything but the buyers email address and address.

However EBAY do give out that number, if you go to advanced search top of every ebay page > click on contact member in the left column you will see that you just fill in the details and your telephone number is given to the seller and vice versa.

Either member of a transaction can request contact details from Ebay.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MerryMet
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I had absolutely no idea that my mobile number was accessible by anyone other than Ebay admin.  I obviously need to change it ... do you happen to know the private phone number of Devin Wenig, eBay's CEO?  🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MerryMet

If you're contacting from the UK, you can get in touch with eBay at 0845 355 3229. Alternatively, you can get in touch with them through social media, either via Twitter (https://twitter.com/AskeBay) or Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/eBay.co.uk).

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MerryMet
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I was making a joke ... I was suggesting a solution might be for me to replace my mobile number with his. British humour I'm afraid. LOL

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MerryMet

No I got the joke, just thought the contact info would be useful for you in the future.

I'm British as well, well actually Cornish but we won't go there.    Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

MerryMet
Contributor
Contributor

Ah yes, that part of Anglo Saxon Britain that was once known as West Wales?  I'm Welsh and I know people who still say they're going to West Wales on holiday when they actually mean Cornwall. LOL

I've now blocked emails from that particular seller, he'd upped the anti and the last email this afternoon was all in capitals. I've also blocked him on my phone as well. Now I just have to hope he hasn't got the nous to pass my mobile number and email address on to third party spammers.

Byd bach, diolch i chi am eich cymorth! Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Owl_
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Merry,

You could always create a Skype number to use on Ebay. You would have to pay after the trial is up though.

Login to Me Too

MerryMet
Contributor
Contributor

Hadn't thought of Skype, that's a good idea, thanks. ☺

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.