Gumtree scam

Eme1
New Community Member
I've just 'sold' a cooker through gumtree, luckily I became worried when Sandra Penev wanted me to purchase a moneygram as she was in a wheelchair. Needless to say I will only be dealing with personal cash buyers in future.
Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eme1

Yep scam is all over the internet and ongoing for years, glad you were not caught out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

cris87
Contributor
Contributor

thank you @Eme1! same thing here, same fake name..

Hello again,
I am glad to inform you that i have made the payment! PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your email
I had a little problem with the agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their head office via moneygram,but due to me being in wheelchair i'm unable to get to a moneygram shop to send it. I added the £260 they charged for the pick up and £40 for the moneygram charges,you will receive the total sum of £420. 
You'll send £260 to them via moneygram today and here is the details needed for the transfer below:

First name: Bola
Last name: Luke
City : Ibadan
Postcode : 20001

Please let me know once you've sent the money so that i can make necessary arrangements.
few seconds before this...get an email from <paypalcustormercarehelpdesk@gmail.com>  (gmail domain!!!) telling me that money are in my paypal account, just waiting for moneygram....for a naive person email can look very ''official''

be carreful, stay safe, cash only!!

Login to Me Too

cris87
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,
I am glad to inform you that i have made the payment! PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your email
I had a little problem with the agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their head office via moneygram,but due to me being in wheelchair i'm unable to get to a moneygram shop to send it. I added the £260 they charged for the pick up and £40 for the moneygram charges,you will receive the total sum of £420. 
You'll send £260 to them via moneygram today and here is the details needed for the transfer below:

Please let me know once you've sent the money so that i can make necessary arrangements.
few seconds before this...get an email from <paypalcustormercarehelpdesk<at>gmail.com>  (gmail domain!!!) telling me that money are in my paypal account, just waiting for moneygram....for a naive person email can look very ''official''

Login to Me Too

cris87
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

few seconds before this...get an email from <paypalcustormercarehelpdesk<at>gmail.com>  (gmail domain!!!) telling me that money are in my paypal account, just waiting for moneygram....for a naive person email can look very ''official''

Login to Me Too

cris87
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

Login to Me Too

cris87
Contributor
Contributor

thank you ! same thing here, same fake name..

Hello again,

Login to Me Too

cris87
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

few seconds before this...get an email from paypalcustormercarehelpdesk at gmail.com  (gmail domain!!!) telling me that money are in my paypal account, just waiting for moneygram....for a naive person email can look very ''official''

Login to Me Too

cris87
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

few seconds before this...get an email from paypalcustormercarehelpdesk at gmail.com  (gmail domain!!!) telling me that money are in my paypal account, just waiting for moneygram....for a naive person email can look very ''official''

Login to Me Too

cris87
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

few seconds before this...get an email from paypalcustormercarehelpdesk at gmailcom  (gmail domain!!!) telling me that money are in my paypal account, just waiting for moneygram....for a naive person email can look very ''official''

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.