Gumtree scam!

Kwebb203
New Community Member
Hey guys. Trying to sell my sofa. Got a dodgy text From someone called Chris who came straight up on my phone as 'Chris' even though he was not in my contacts. He then emailed me. Very dodgy. Couldn't spell, wrong punctuation etc... And kept banging on about a shipping courier and paying via PayPal only. Anyway his name is Chris Ferris..Beware of this guy. Total scam.
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kwebb203

This scam has been ongoing for years and is all over the internet and this forum. Glad you were not taken in.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

worker1
New Community Member

Just had a SMS to my mobile after posting piece of furniture on Gumtree.

Read like a scam "Is this furniture still for sale"  well I only posted it yesterday and surely a genuine buyer would mention the type of furniture.  Googled it and found name is suspect.

His gmail is chrisferris010.  He sent 2 texts, one came up under the name Chris and the other Ferris and no number appeared.

Anyone know how he does this?  He is not in my contacts list.

Login to Me Too

sarott_angel
New Community Member

Exactly the same thing happened to me today.

Random 'named' text from Chris - asking me to email if furniture was still available. Told me he would pay via PayPal and then get shipping company to contact me directly to arrange collection.

Not entirely sure what he is trying to do, but before sending details - I googled his address and this thread, amoungst others came up. Very grateful for everyone reporting it, although does anyone actually know how he is scamming?

If I had given him my PayPal email address, how could he access my account?

Anyway, his details are as follows:

chrisferris010 at gmail dot com

Hoping this post helps someone else from getting scammed.

Login to Me Too

JackS1

I've just been in contact with both chris and someone under the name BARBARA FETTY watch out for her, she says she is wheelchair bound and deaf, anyway this is what happened to me, at first I didn't realise so I told them my paypal email so they could send the money and they said they'll pay for courier, she then told me the money had been sent but there was a problem with her courier agency and they need the money to be sent to head office before they collect it but seeing as she's wheelchair bound she couldn't go to the post office to do it herself so sent me an extra £395 (who in their right mind pays £395 to send two bedside tables!?) to send to the courier agency. once I checked the fake paypal email I saw that I would not recieve the money until I go to the post office and make a moneygram payment of £395 in CASH to an address she gave me, then I would have the money to make up for it. so they scam you by trying to make you send cash to them to cover the so called courier.

Login to Me Too

JackS1

I thought I'd share my recent messages with Chris Ferris to highlight the sheer tenacity of his scam;

Chris Ferris

Thanks for your response.Am interested in buying.How long have you owned it?? what's your actual price for it..

Jack Southorn

owned it for 7 years, my actual price is £785,023.61

Chris Ferris

Nice Hearing back from you..I'm quite satisfied with the condition and price..I want you to get back to me with your PayPal email so i can start with the Payment now....mind you, you won't release your ad until PayPal credit your account before you will release it so it can be pick and my shipping company will be coming for  pick up so you don't need to worry about pick up okay. I will need your home address for it to be Picked Up by the Shipping Company.

If only I could make that much money from selling 2 tables....
Login to Me Too

Maryam2
New Community Member
I had a very simular experience selling my bedroom furniture. Had a quick response via txt asking if it wss still available which I could only email back to... message I got back was Great!please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my son and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location . Regarding the payment i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? Awaiting your reply soon. I asked to do bank transfer (as it's more safer) but lo and behold, she wasn't up for it... Be wary of these scammers! Too much time on their hands
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.