Gumtree scam stilll going on

I'm advertising a car on Gumtree and got the same meassage from a Rose Johnson as many others have had since this scam started in 2015. First off received a text message (which I couldn't reply to) asking me to email and then got the following, which is the same as everyone else in this forum.  Glad I checked!! Interesting that the same scam message has been around (almost verbatim) since last year...........

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being on wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. 
Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

When challenged and told I would not accept paypal, only a bank transfer, this was the reply

I'm sorry i am disabled and i have limited access to cash and other payment methods.

You can setup a PayPal account at www.paypal.com it's very safe and secure. Also it's very easy to set up within few minutes.

I simply responded saying that I would not be doing that but would be reporting to both paypal and the police, and the emails have since stopped.....

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

JJ26
New Community Member

SCAM ALERT

15 minutes after advertising my car for sale on gumtree I got a text from "Booksy" saying Mark would like to know if my car is stil for sale and to email him on markscott5500 at gmail.com.

I responded advising car was still for sale and received this from his email address with name of Mark Scott

Thank you for the mail, I'm interested in buying this and i will be paying you the asking price so consider it sold,i will like you to be honest with me because i will not be available to come for inspects due to nature of my work, Honestly i am buying this for my son, but the issue is I'm a NAVY Vet and i just got a deployed.It's strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email any time as will make use of computer.

I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package as well ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling it if you don't mind my asking. I don't mind adding an extra $300.00 for you just to take down the posting..I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy person working all day, am a (NAVY Vet in which i deal Vet Software's) am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through Account to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in WA for my son .Await your reply
Login to Me Too

ravi1506
New Community Member

Even I got the same mail but I am not able to understand how this scam is trying to rip us.

it is not asking for any money and nor asking for any credentials ?

Login to Me Too

dcb49

Hi, latest news on Gumtree PayPal/courier scam.

Scammers current name/email is fredjames0001 at gmail.com. Their message is:

I want you to consider this a deal as i am willing to pay your full asking price! i actually want to buy it for a family member who is urgently in need of it, i have checked through your posting and i'm fully satisfied with it. 

Unfortunately, i would not be able to come personally to view/collect, i work offshore as an instructor on a oil rig so i dont have time at all, but like i said i am 100% OK with the advert.

However, i have a reliable courier that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money via PayPal as that is the only means of payment available to me at the moment. I would also appreciate if you could remove the advert asap.

To start off with, please get back to me with suitable collection time so that i can inform the courier agent about it now.

They also used another name in 2016: stellawayne222 at gmail.com. The message was:

I want you to consider this a deal as i am willing to pay your full asking price! i actually want to buy it for a family member who is urgently in need of it, i have checked through your posting and i'm fully satisfied with it. 

Unfortunately, i would not be able to come personally to view/collect, i work offshore as an instructor on a oil rig so i dont have time at all, but like i said i am 100% OK with the advert.

However, i have a reliable courier that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money via PayPal as that is the only means of payment available to me at the moment. I would also appreciate if you could remove the advert asap.

To start off with, please get back to me with suitable collection time so that i can inform the courier agent about it now.

Note the similarity of the messages, to scare them off just tell them you will only accept a bank transfer and that you will send your own courier, suddenly they go silent. Note that they don't mention anything about the item you are buying, surely everyone tries an offer before accepting the listed price.

David

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.