Fraud Email

MBNess

I have received an email in the past asking me to confirm a payment that I have never made...obviously a scam. But today I received and email saying that I automatically paid Siber Systems almost $300 for an automatic renewal of RoboForm Everywhere subscription. I don't even know what that is!!! It even looks like a legit email from PayPal! When I logged into my PayPal account on the computer the payment is not there. I think PayPal may need to look into its security a little better.  If someone who didn't recognize that this may be a scam and clicked on the links right from the email, they could be out a lot of money or get a virus on their computer/phone. 

Just wondering if anyone else is getting these too.

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MBNess

What has paypal security got to do with it?

If it was a spoof email and did not come from paypal site then why is their security involved?

The scammers would have put a FAKE LINK with a FAKE form for you to fill in giving away any financial info, it would not have taken you to paypals site.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MBNess

Some how they had to have gotten my email linked with PayPal to know I have an account. Plus they last 4 digits of the credit card that is shown on the payment statement are for a card that expired a few years ago. How would they have gotten that? Just curious

Login to Me Too

Amygrantfan
Contributor
Contributor
I just got one of these too! It looked authentic with details sch as credit card, (albeit an expired one) and an exact dollar amount. Very irritating...
Login to Me Too

Keefard
Contributor
Contributor
Mine says the same minus the credit card numbers but I have no updated credit cards on there and no linked bank info
Login to Me Too

j1111
Contributor
Contributor

I got it also, but with no credit card number on it. Passed it along to spoof@paypal.com and am waiting for them to reply if indeed it is a spoof (I assume it is) . By the way, fraudsters can obtain your prior/current credit card numbers from the massive data breaches you read about in the headlines where many  credit card numbers have been exposed.

Login to Me Too

TriMoot
New Community Member

Well it certainly got me at 1st glance!  Even though when my heart started to calm and I noticed the email was NOT a real paypal email, "ervice'at'paypaI.com <354c-4b06+10'at'icloud.com.laluntasuf-9.business>"

Dang they are getting good!

When you see it setting in your inbox, all you see is "service'at'paypal.com".  Totally got me.  Not that I went to their site, but I emailed my wife and said, "WHAT DID YOU BUY!!"  HA!  Then I thought about it and really looked at the email and slapped my forehead a few times and emailed her back and said, "Oops..nevermind..it's all good".

Shesssh.

Login to Me Too

j1111
Contributor
Contributor

Agree. I just looked into the email metadata/links and the sender is a long/non-PayPal email (I cannot, nor should I, paste it here)

And the "Login to Paypal" button at the bottom goes to a random URL that sounds foreign (I cannot, nor should I, paste it here)

I didn''t click on that login link b/c I don't want to risk getting infected with malware. But clearly this is a phishing attack to steal legitimate credentials 🙂

Login to Me Too

Brandie1597
Contributor
Contributor
I had that hasten to me a few months ago. Now I'm getting suspicious charges on my debit card from "PayPal" but these charges don't show up in my PayPal transactions.
Login to Me Too

Amygrantfan
Contributor
Contributor
Ugh, that's not good. Thanks for the heads-up! Hope you get it resolved.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.