Fake Email Received

trezeme
Contributor
Contributor

Received an email today to an email address that isn't associated with PayPal, so this is how I believe it to be a scam but thought to mention it here to see if anyone else that has more than one email address if they too have received a similar email.

At the top of the email it says: Your Account was just used to sign in from Chrome 58 on Windows... The senders details say Account_Service, underneath it shows a PayPal logo and lower says Sign-in from a new device, it goes on to say:

Dear Customer,

Your PayPal Account was just used to sign in from Chrome 58 on Windows 8.1, it then gives out someones IP address stating the Country to be in Algeria.

It goes on the say Why we are asking to confirm it? We take security seriously and want to keep you in the loop on actions with your account.

During the last sign-in, we were unable todeterminewhether you have used this browser or device with your account before. This can happen, when you sign-in for the first time on a new computer, phone or browser, use browser's incognito or private browsing modes, clear your cookiesor give someone else the access to your account. Click "Confirm new device", if you're aware of this sign-in attempt and want to proceed, otherwise change your account password as soon as possible.

So underneath that is a blue rectangular box with the following words in white Confirm My Account.

Under this it says Should you require any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our friendly support team at support @ PayPal.com

Kind regards

PayPal.

There appears to be some words at the very bottom which say: 

This email was sent to keep you informed about changes to your products or accounts.

Copyright 2017 PayPal Ltd. All rights reserved. We are located at THE ACCOUNTANCY CLOUD, Unit 2.05- 18 Hoxton Street, London, England, N1 6NG

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@trezeme

I can tell its a spoof from the first 2 words.

Paypal NEVER refer to you as Dear Customer / Member / Client etc they would always use your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly paypal NEVER tell you to click on an unsafe link in an email, if there was a problem with your account they would tell you to go to the resolution or member centre in your paypal account.

Lastly these scammers send these emails out to as many email addresses that they have access to, obviously some don't have paypal accounts linked but obviously some do and thats when they hope they are going to scam someone.

Delete and ignore.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@trezeme

I can tell its a spoof from the first 2 words.

Paypal NEVER refer to you as Dear Customer / Member / Client etc they would always use your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly paypal NEVER tell you to click on an unsafe link in an email, if there was a problem with your account they would tell you to go to the resolution or member centre in your paypal account.

Lastly these scammers send these emails out to as many email addresses that they have access to, obviously some don't have paypal accounts linked but obviously some do and thats when they hope they are going to scam someone.

Delete and ignore.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.