Car buying scam

Twocatsgroove
New Community Member
Hi, received this message today, Patricia first contacted me earlir asking if my car was still for sale, then wene I emailed her and said yes she sent me this email..... 16 Nov 2016 14:03,. Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being on wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?" It seemed too swift and easy so I googled her name and it can up with almost identical scenarios to the one in her message. scam? Feels like it to me. I'll say COD only and wait to hear if she replies. Watch out folks
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Twocatsgroove

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal. They always say they have to send a shipping agent as they are wheelchair bound or working offshore etc.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the car, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Twocatsgroove
New Community Member
Thanks very much, I appreciate your time and help.
Login to Me Too

dan_w
New Community Member

Someone tried to pull this on me, keep an eye out for: (email address removed as breach of community guidelines).

Last email: 

Thanks for getting back, i'm cool with the price likewise the condition as described on the advert,I work on a remote mine site in  Perth, WA. and the reception is terrible. We do not have access to phone at the moment, which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. 

Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal linked up with my Nab bank account,please get back to me with your PayPal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb acct name and number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.

Regards,
Paul.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.