Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

bobbieosteen

Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I am serving in the US army and currently been deploy to NATO Air Base Geilenkirchen, Germany and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for my dad and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address:
Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Login to Me Too

bemasek
Wow!!! Thanks for posting this. I got nearly this identical text from phone #(817) 345-7839 today after placing a cars.com ad and his story sounded fishy. Glad I did. I told him to get lost. Thanks again!!!!
Login to Me Too

SR123456789
Contributor
Contributor

The same person at <removed> just tried to scam me today with a car I'm selling at cars.com as well.  He wanted to use PayPal and give us an extra $600 to pay the tow truck driver!!

Login to Me Too

SpecialK2
New Community Member

I had a very similar email. Joel's a **bleep**. 

Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you
get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and
Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price
but not cash in person because I am serving in the US Army and
currently been deploy to Fort Huachuca Military Base , Arizona  and
calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option
is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the
PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you
don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just
log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase
as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for my dad and I'm
very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man,
so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know
he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once
payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me.I
would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too
since i won't be able to see this in person. I look forward to hear
from you with the information below. I look forward to hear from you
with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Phone no#:
Zip code for pickup:

Thanks
Joel

Login to Me Too

MatthewS192
Exact email I received..

I'm wanting to get the car as a birthday gift for my dad, It's priced favorably compared to others so I want you to consider it sold to me because I am ready to offer you the asking price but not cash in person because I'm serving in the US Marine cop and currently serving at FOB Geronimo in Afghanistan and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log onto www.paypal.com/ and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for my dad and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me, I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be able to see this in person. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Thanks
Login to Me Too

jambuvant
New Community Member

I got the same email from one Mr Nick Schappler!!

Login to Me Too

Obiwan

Like many of the posts I have seen, I feel I am fairly cautious and responsible.  I opted to be safe rather sorry and replied to the buyer that I was not interested.

It is Here is the email I received.  It is surprising how identicle they are with jsut a couple of small alterations:

"Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I am serving in the US army and currently been deploy to Fort Huachuca Military Base , Arizona and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for my dad and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me. I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be able to see this in person. I look forward to hear from you with the information below. I look forward to hear from you with the information below. 
Full name:
Phone Number-
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:"

Login to Me Too

jdscooling
New Community Member

Just had this email asking is it for sale i replied yes then got this

Great! i am willing to pay your full asking price as i urgently need to buy it for my cousin but due to my health conditions (hearing loss and i'm presently in a wheelchair) i would not be able to come personally for pick up.I have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it.
I have a mover that would help me to pick it up at your location after payment has been received.I'll be paying you via PayPal today.
If you could tell me your location, i'll contact the mover now.
Login to Me Too

thislife

This is still going around after 2 years! Got today this..almost identical:

Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being on wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. 
Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?
Login to Me Too

MrsPike

I got the EXACT email from an "adam <removed>".

In the first email he said "Hello,hope  Is this still available for sale?, and what is last asking price?"

I told him it was.

I felt so suspicious over this because who gives all the details of paypal being safe, secure, etc? Then I sent him back an email that said I wanted to talk to him over the phone and gave him my phone number.

He then texted me this morning saying that he wanted to do this quickly. I told him that I googled his email address and it was a scam. I told him to not text me again or I would report him to the FBI and that I have friends that are agents (I don't really, but I wanted to see the response.) He sent me a text saying that he didn't say it was for his uncle and that I needed to "get some sense." I told him "Last warning. DO NOT TEXT or EMAIL ME EVER AGAIN. So he texted me back with "F*** you fool". Nice guys those criminals....

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.