eBay Refund Through PayPal

rajanmant
New Community Member

Hi,

Ordered item on eBay and made payment via credit card (not PayPal). Seller did not ship, case was opened, and seller processed refund as per update on eBay. However, got an email from PayPal saying eBay has sent refund through PayPal and to claim within a month. A link was provided to claim. Note I still do not have a PayPal account yet.

So I clicked on link where it took me to PayPal login page to either sign in or sign up. Since I did not have PayPal account yet, proceeded to sign up and activated account.

After that ... nothing. Nothing on the activity page. Stayed signed in on PayPal, went back to email message and hit the Claim Your Money link again. Although I am already logged in, opens another PayPal login page and asks me to sign in or sign up again. I sign in again. Nothing.

Questions:

1. How do I know I have claimed the refund?

2. Will the refund be sent to my credit card directly (as I didn't use PayPal to pay) or will now appear on my newly created PayPal account?

Appreciate any insight into this.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @rajanmant,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty creating an account to receive your eBay refund. If you already went through the signup process, you can go to paypal.com and log in using the information you used at signup. Once logged in, you will need to confirm your email address to allow the payment that eBay sent you to be received.

Since eBay is sending the refund as a new payment rather than a credit back to the card, the funds will be in your PayPal balance and would need to be withdrawn or spent from there.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

if y ou do not have a Paypal account and you paid with a credit card,then it has nothing to do with Paypal.

check your purchase history ,find the order for more details.

does this eBAY seller has a merchant account to accept credit card direct?

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Q

Since eBay is sending the refund as a new payment rather than a credit back to the card, the funds will be in your PayPal balance and would need to be withdrawn or spent from there.

----------------------------------------------

!why would Ebay send a new payment via PAYPAL when the buyer does not have a PAYPAL account?

In order to send a Paypal payment,Ebay must know your Paypal email address,which you did not give Ebay since you have none.

are you sure it is not a pfishing email?

best is to call Ebay and find out what happens

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Whac-A-Mole,

Good question. The guest payment does have an email address associated with it. eBay may not be able to refund the guest payment directly back to the card, especially in the case of debit cards. In these situations, they will send a payment to the email address used to make the guest payment, and the payment will have to be claimed. 

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

so the buyer did use Paypal,just not with his paypal account but his credit card as a guest.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.