buy something, keep it, and get rewarded a refund

mamabears
Contributor
Contributor

I sold something marked final sale on ebay. The buyer paid and I shipped. She asked for a refund and i said no.

I received an email that she opened a dispute through paypal and her credit card company. Paypal did not ask me for any info or my side of the story.

I contacted her and asked her to return the shoes (several times) but obviously she didn't respond. Til this day I have not received my merchandise back.

The funds were put on "hold" on my paypal account then few weeks later i was notified that she won the dispute and the funds were gone.

Can someone explain to me how a buyer can get rewarded a full refund (value of $335) and get to keep the merchandise?

Why isn't this case protected under seller protection but she was rewarded by buyer protection?

Paypal didnt ask me for anything nor have they tried to help me out. All I get is automated email responses. The person on the phone said that they will appeal but now they say they cant because she won thru her credit card company. If that is the case why didnt her credit card company credit instead of me?

This tells me that I can go to ebay and buy something I cannot afford. After I receive the merchandise I can file a dispute and get a full refund and keep the merchandise as well.

So everyone, go ahead and do that too because you will be awarded the amount by buyer protection.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mamabears

A chargeback is done via the buyers credit card company and that company make the decision and not paypal.

HOWEVER if you lose and meet ALL the requirements of seller protection then normally paypal will reimburse you so you need to go read up on seller protection and see where you missed out.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

norezen
Some disambiguation. The credit card company may either mean the card issuer or the card company. IE you might have a Capital One MasterCard card. Capital One is the issuer and MasterCard is the card "company." Anyways, its up to MasterCard what the rules are for disputes and they are the same for a Capital One MasterCard as well as a say, Bank of America MasterCard.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Your buyer told her cc issuer you are a bad seller and refused to let her return the item,so cc issuer just let her have the money back without returning it.

CC issuer would also side with a buyer if she attempts to return the item and the seller refuses.

Login to Me Too

norezen
CC issuer is who the customer gets their card from. The acquirer is the merchant's bank.
Its hard to tell from the details here but I suspect that there was another issue with the sale that prevented the acquirer from disputing or else they would have asked for more details from the seller.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.