Unauthorized Transaction through Ebay does not show yup in paypal

yippeejf
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday I got an email stating that my order had shipped.  I did not place the order for a $700 i-Pad.  This transaction has already debited my account.  Pre auth PAYPAL *BUYSPRY LOC: 4029357733 MD. $709.99.

My bank says dispute with ebay and or paypal.  Ebay won't let me cancel the order because it has already (supposedly) shipped.  I have sent the seller many emails with no response.  The phone number for the seller is answered by a machine.  I can't dispute with paypal because the transaction is not showing up in transaction history.

Is there anything else I can do?  This transaction overdrafted my bank account and I am sorely broke.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey yippeejf,

I'm very sorry to hear about the trouble with the unauthorized charge to your bank, as well as the overdraft trouble. I understand that is frustrating, and I'll provide any assistance I can.

When it comes to unauthorized payments, please note that it is required by Regulation E that banks and financial institutions waive any fees related to unauthorized activity. It is illegal for them to profit off of a victim of fraud. Your overdraft should be waived by the bank, and I would advise discussing this and Regulation E with them to ensure you're not held accountable for that fee.

Regarding the actual charge, if you don't see the transaction on your PayPal account, this usually means that your bank or debit card number are compromised and someone has added them to another PayPal account and used them for purchases. In this case, the only option is to dispute the charge with your bank. Again, Regulation E requires that they file a report for unauthorized charges. Also make sure that your bank or debit card number are replaced to ensure you're not exposed to additional unauthorized charges.

If this transaction does show up in your PayPal account, you can file it as unauthorized activity by following the steps listed here. We'll investigate and if we're able to determine there was unauthorized activity, we'll issue a full refund for the transaction. I would also advise changing your passwords to ensure your PayPal account and any other website with the same email and password combination are resecured. If you run into any other issues, please contact us so that we can look into this right away and provide any assistance possible. I hope this information helps!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.