Told to create a business account to get my payment

Laurabob05
Contributor
Contributor
I just sold an item on ebay and received an e-mail stating that I have an unclaimed payment and I have to create a paypal business account to get it. I am not a business! Why is this happening and how can I get my money?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Roubaix

Me too. WTF, I never had an issue previously with selling. Called PayPal and the told me the email was fake because the greeting said, "Dear username(dot)com" in lieu of "Dear First Last". But their security guys obviously don't know what the business guys are doing because it was a legit email. 

I put in multiple email help requests and only received canned email responses that were of no use. Then searched the FAQs and found that you are now forced to have a business account if you plan to sell anything. There is a third account type beyond Personal and Business called a Premier account. But the documents indicate you have to first upgrade to a Business account, and then down grade to the Premier account. But, there is no way to do this online, and support don't appear to know how to do this either. Extremely poor customer support, and I am sure they are going to loose a ton of sellers because they are making it too tough to just do occasional selling. Big F U PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Roubaix

Okay, so now I see in the forum that only Personal and Business accounts exist. Don't get why you can't do ocassional selling from a personal account. Really **bleep** up a sale when without warning you are forced to upgrade or not receive funds from an eBay transaction.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The new personal account is really the premier account which you can accept payment under goods and services and accept credit card payments.

if you have an old personal account,then upgrade it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.