Suspicious eBay buyer

firesome
New Community Member

I received an eBay message from a buyer in Sri Lanka wanting to buy my iMac.  The buyer is saying they will pay any shipping if I can ship outside the USA including usps, FedEx and ups.  They say they will pay any shipping costs.  I want to sell at buy it now price but don't want to be scammed. How do I know its legit and secure the purchase?  I will not accept any third party shipping, but can they remove an eBay payment and take my mac?  Is international shipping safe on eBay?  I did it a few years ago to Japan and it worked out fine.. but I am worried about this large order.  Thanks for any help.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@firesome

READ THIS SCAM SO YOU ARE AWARE OF HOW IT WORKS AND CAN RISK ASSESS THAT TRANSACTION.

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria OR SIMILAR.

They also use hijacked Ebay user i.d's but want you to deal ''off Ebay''.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@firesome

READ THIS SCAM SO YOU ARE AWARE OF HOW IT WORKS AND CAN RISK ASSESS THAT TRANSACTION.

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria OR SIMILAR.

They also use hijacked Ebay user i.d's but want you to deal ''off Ebay''.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

firesome
New Community Member

Thank you.. I'm not going to deal with international.  Much appreciated 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Apple products are Hot and fast to turn into cash anywhere in the world,may be not the Arctic?

If you want to be safe,agree to do it outside Ebay if they will wire you the money via a bank,intl wiretransfer is safest.there is no way he can reverse the payment.

If they agree,then you will ship the item using their favorite carrier,it is better to do this via DHL,UPS or Fed Exp not USPS due to customs clearance.

Login to Me Too

firesome
New Community Member
Much appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.