Scammer Buyer won not as described Case with Fake pictures

david4625
New Community Member

I never thought this would happen to me. Now I really need help from experienced sellers. I have sent the following to <removed> and eBay. No one responded and the Paypal customer support is basically useless. These people from india just respond with pre-written articles. I also contacted NYPD and filed for theft of the iPhone X.

Executive Summary:
I have been scammed by another user on Paypal platform with total amount of $1,369.28 USD and Paypal customer service only responded with robotic automotive messages. I know this might be low dollar amount in your eyes but it is a large sum of money for me. Also, I believe the principle is what matters regardless the dollar amount. I have opened a case with Better Business Bureau (BBB # 584504) Please review the case and make this right. I am a strong believer of Paypal and generated lots of revenue for you for over 10 years on Paypal. I wish to continue to do so for many years to come.

Paypal Case number: #PP-006-341-193-913
Transaction #2U835856CP720805E
eBay item number: 282725856360
eBay buyer: <removed>
Tracking number: 9510******************(This board won't let me post this)
Apple iPhone X Serial Number: G6TVLEE***** (I provided this to police and Paypal)

Shipping address:

<removed>

Buyer email: <removed>

Full Detail:

I have encountered a scammer on eBay. The product I've sold is a factory sealed iPhone X I purchased directly on Apple launch day, waited in line for 5 hours to obtain. This eBay buyer with virtually no ebay transaction feedbacks purchased the device immediately after I listed the product and requested immediate shipment and rush shipping. Right after that, I receive two different messages from two recently created ebay accounts (<removed>) stating they have purchased the device and wish to have product shipped to a different address due to family emergency. I declined both of them and reconfirmed with original buyer on the shipping address. I shipped the factory sealed product and documented all the packaging with device serial number, USPS tracking with signature confirmation, and Apple purchasing receipt with matching serial number as described on the ebay listing.
Two days later, the moment product was delivered, eBay buyer filed for return with a fraud image of a iPhone 5C in my packaging. I replied with all the evidence and pictures and long long paragraph asking for a proof of that faulty phone actually come from my package, while the buyers just reply with single word or sentence that is not even English, completely ignore the request. I uploaded all my evidence of proper shipment of exact product as described in my ebay listing picture with same serial number and proof of purchase of that exact phone with same serial number on the receipt, matching the one in my pictures. Just after 12 am on the day that I was able to escalate this return to eBay after to buyer seller dispute period, buyer closed the return on eBay and filed for a claim on Paypal. Why change the avenue if what you have said was true? I then again provided all evidence to the Paypal case as well and asked the Paypal reviewer to contact eBay for all the back and forth conversation on that eBay return, as well as contacting Apple for the exact location, FaceID & Apple account registered on that iPhone X. This is a fraud and a criminal activity of theft which I will involve law enforcement and attorney if this is not resolved. Paypal ruled the case in scammer's favor and now taking my money and give it to buyer once buyer ships the product back. However, the buyer is not going to ship back what I have sent! Buyer already took my iPhone X and swapped in for a fake dummy phone that was used in his fraudulent photos. Please make this right, I have perfect seller track record on eBay with over 234 transactions for 8 years and this buyer has none. Why would I all the sudden give this away, it doesn't make sense. This is a scamming operation and the buyer will just keep moving on to the next victim. I genuinely want Paypal to be a safe place for people to transact. Scams like this will prevent your platform to be adopted by sellers and must be stopped. I'm also a PYPL share holder and want the best for Paypal. This business practice of not fully reviewing the case, or using offshore customer service team that does not read anything I wrote and simply reply like a robot is not helpful at all. I have contacted customer service many times and it's not going anywhere. I need your immediate attention to make Paypal and eBay much safer place and scale up to be the number one platform for all transactions. Please think about how can you prevent more cases like this. Anyone could have used your platform to buy anything and simply send a fake picture and get money back. Yes you require buyer to ship item back but the buyer will not ship the exact item back. Scammer would swap it out already. I need your immediate attention to resolve this ASAP.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

The first mistake is to sell the iphone x on EBAY where yiu must accept either Paypal or credit card payment.

second,you sold it to a person with low or no feedback.

Third,he closed the case on Ebay ,he could have more than one Ebay ID and this is not the first scam he committed on Ebay.

Paypal item not as described is first tackled by robot,yes,robot,as it never see the item,it cant tell who is telling the truth,robot does not read email or watch video,the fair way is t o ask him t o return the item,get his money back and you can relist.

then you appeal,then a human would look into it,unless you have very strong proof that he did not return the right phone,other wise you still lose,or if you are a nice guy,they may give you something .out of thei own pocket but not all $1300.

On ebay you can block buyer with less than x number of feedback,or name that particular ebay bidder by his ID,COUNTRY AND region.

you should sell it elsewhere you can accept non credit card,non paypal payment.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

selling an iphone X on EBAY is like waving a TBONE steak in front of a hungry dog,what is wrong with you?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.