Russian eBay buyer tried to scam me, eBay closed their account, they've opened a PayPal dispute...

deepsun
Contributor
Contributor

I sold an iPhone on eBay through the Global Shipping Program to someone in Russia. The item left exactly as it was described in the listing, but several days later the buyer opened a return claim on eBay, saying the item wasn't as described on the listing. I spoke to eBay and they told me just to respond and say I wouldn't accept a return. The buyer came back with photos of an iPhone wiht a cracked screen, but one photo showed the back of the phone.

Immediately it was apparent to me that they were indeed trying to scam me because that photo of the back of the phone had European regulatory labels, and the phone I sold did not have the same labels on the back, since it was purchased directly from Apple in the U.S. I called eBay back and they looked at my listing photos and the buyer's photos and confirmed that it was obviously not the phone I sold them.

At that point, eBay sided with me, going so far as to close the buyer's account. This was yesterday. This morning I had an email that said the buyer had opened and escalated a dispute with PayPal. I called PayPal and they've explained that I have to wait to see if the buyer has documentation that the phone they claim is broken is indeed the phone I sold them. I told them about the photos and that eBay closed the buyer's account, but I guess I have to wait out the process.

Is there anything else I can do to try and get this closed in my favor and have the hold taken off the payment? Thanks.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

unfortunately,not much you can do buy pray PAYPAL will side with you.

This Russian knows enough to go from Ebay to PAYPal and if he loses,could go to his cc issuer.

But if he wins on PAYPAL,he wil be asked to return the phone on his dime with tracking.and if the payment is $750 or more,signature confirmation.

he will return the other phone,then you will have to complain to Paypal .

Iphones are high risk items,sell at your own risk/

Login to Me Too

deepsun
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I have all the evidence I need against them, but PayPal is still going through their process.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

see,he could take another picture with the right iphone from USA.

Iphones are good to scam,and selling to RUSSIA is risky,you should block,the entire Eastern European bloc,Nigeria,Middle East. and central and south America.

or sell on venue which allows you to accept non credit card payment

Login to Me Too

deepsun
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I'm learning my lesson the hard way with this one. I'll be blocking buyers from all those regions after this listing. 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If PayPal doesn't rule in your favor, appeal when given the opportunity to and supply your evidence.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Russin customs,russian neighbors,russian postal workers,they could all be stealing.

Login to Me Too

greenlion
New Community Member

Oh yeah, this exact same thing happened to me.  The eBay agent even agreed with me that it was a fraud, and I had teamed up with another person who had the exact same thing happen to him - same copy-paste email even.  But eBay and PayPal refused to budge.  There's nothing you can do - these companies are craptastic and shady, anyway. 

I hope there is an auction alternativet to eBay soon, because the buyers and corporate both are the lowest of the low.  I haven't sold on there for months.

Don't trust: Russia, Ukraine, Brazil, or Italy as a seller - they are FULL of mail fraud.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

someone once said selling to Russia is just like throwing the item into the trash can,same result !

but iphones are high risk items,you should block all foreign buyers,the temptation is just too strong.

Even USA buyers.may not be safe,as returning a rock is cheap.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.