Paypal charges fees on eBay refunds?

hankees
Contributor
Contributor

The seller initiated a refund for my purchased. I didn't have to do anything. Yet I was charged a fee as if it was a "sale" back to me for the same transaction on eBay. There is no mistake - this is not a new sale. There was no new auction number. This was a refund back to the purchaser.  The eBay message on the site stated that I received a refund of 100% of the money. I couldn't find any deposit in my account for that money. Paypal called it a "sale" and proceeded to take a fee out of what eBay told me was a 100% refund.

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

you should receive a full refund-from the seller and the fee paid to Paypal.

There is  a transaction fee for credit back to your credit card,which should be picked up by the seller.

when the seller receives your payment via Paypal,Paypal charges 30 cents transaction fee plus 2.9 % of the payment(intl card 3.9%).

When the seller refunds you,there is a transaction fee as well,Paypal used to absorb that fee,but now it is passed on to the seller,I think it is 25 cents,not sure..

You can go to PAYPAL website,and learn more.  

Login to Me Too

hankees
Contributor
Contributor

So what you're saying is that eBay and Paypal present themselves as being unified when it's convenient to users. And then without letting you know, they will separate themselves for the purpose of charging a fee. I don't see anything in the message I received from eBay nor any clear notice which says I'm going to be charged back a nice sized fee for a "refund". It changes the meaning of the refund. You pay a fee for the item and you pay a fee for the refund, with Paypal charging two fees. 

If I'm getting a refund on eBay, they are the ones who should be explaining that to me up front at the time of the refund. And Paypal didn't tell me anything about charging me for a refund. Instead I found a bill which was purportedly for a "sale". But there was no sale. For purposes of charging me a fee, Paypal and eBay called this a sale to me and a sale to the seller. That's not right.

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

IF I understand what you told us,you bought an item on Ebay and paid with PAYPAL,is that a credit card payment?

Then you get  a refund,and you said the refund is not 100% of what you paid?

can you tell us what is the original payment and what is the refund/

When you make a payment say 100 dollars,seller received 100- (30 cents $2.9)=96.8

Paypal charges 30 cents transaction fee and $2.9 discount fee.

when a refund is made,seller will refund you $96.8 and PAYPAL will refund you $2.9,total is $100.

if you have paid with a credit card,that amount will return to your credit card,you would not see it in your Paypal balance.

tell us how much is the original payment and how much you received as refund?

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Some sellers charge a restocking fee when the buyer returns an item,say 15-25%,We dont know what you buy and who is the seller and what is her return policy.

Some do not refund shipping,

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sounds like it is possible the seller sent your refund via send money tab and marking it as goods and services payment and not through the Issue Refund link in the PayPal transaction page.  Then indicated that you were refunded at eBay.  Could be a language issue if your seller is intl or they were not aware of how to refund and that was the only way they knew how.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

bobguy49
Contributor
Contributor

so either way the seller is the one on the hook to pay all fees no matter if there was no sale or a sale and a refund...makes sense...a business hosing customers again and again....Must be a better way to sell things than on eBay.....

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@bobguy49 wrote:

so either way the seller is the one on the hook to pay all fees no matter if there was no sale or a sale and a refund...makes sense...a business hosing customers again and again....Must be a better way to sell things than on eBay.....

if there is no sale,seller pays no fee.

if there is a refund due to return,then depends on seller return policy and the reason for return.

Seller can get FVF back from Ebay since no sales is made

With PAYPAL when it comes to refund from original transaction,there is now a transaction fee for issuing a refund,because most buyers use credit card,and a refund is a credit transaction and there is processing fee by the credit card processors.it could be 25 cents,not sure.

Login to Me Too

vdsbm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

For an item I have not received, the seller refunded me with 5,62 € but I only got 5,08 (fee=0,54 € = 0,587 $).

I don't know if anything can be done.

Best regards

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

credit amount goes back to your credit card,if you used your credit card to pay.

it will take a few days to show up in your credit card account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.