Paypal, Global Shipping Program, and Lost Package

debtat
Contributor
Contributor

I sell on my website using PayPal.  Not Ebay.  I stopped shipping internationally due to increased postage rates, problems with customers, and the hassle of international orders.  I blocked shipping to international addresses via my PayPal profile, but still allowed orders from non-USA paypal accounts, assuming some customers would ship to a freight-forwarder.  It also looks like my profile setting did not block Ebay/Auction transactions, though I don't sell on ebay or other auction sites.  

A customer in Japan placed 2 orders and the confirmed shipping address was Erlanger KY.  The order was shipped at the end of July and USPS says the package was delivered.  My customer did not receive the packages in Japan.  Filed a dispute toward the end of August. I escalated it to a claim since I had tracking info to the USA address.  Seller Protection kicked in and her claim was denied.  

With language barriers, the emails have been confusing to say the least.  I thought she had created an account with a freight-forwarder at 1850 Airport Exchange Blvd, Ste 200, Erlanger KY 41025, but she doesn't know the name of the freight-forwarder or the phone number.    With lots of internet queries, it looks like Ebay's Global Shipping Program may been triggered when she was checking out using my default PayPal shopping cart. The KY address matches addresses I've seen on online forums complaining about Ebay's Global Shipping Program.  How did this GSP get triggered?  What settings do I change in PayPal so this doesn't happen again?  I don't do Ebay!

How do I contact this address and find out where my customers package is?  

Login to Me Too
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solved

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It is not possible to trigger Ebay GSP unless the item is listed on Ebay and your Ebay ID specified using GSP for intl shipping.

But you said you do not sell on Ebay.

Unless your Japanese buyer has entered the GSP address as her shipping address.

I am not aware GSP is soliciting business outside EBay,so the question is why is she using the GSP address ?

The way GSP wroks is that the buyer pays domestic shipping to the seller to ship the item to Kentucky with tracking,then the seller job is done.

The buyer also pays GSP for the intl leg of the journey,GSP will tell her how much she should pay-shipping,customs duty if any,and a markup for GSP handling.

When your item arrive at GSP Kentucky,they will look up her GSP payment ,repackage your item and slap on the Japanese address  and sent it to Japan,usually USPS priority mail.

But in this case,GSP has no record of her payment and forwarding address,so I would think it is either sitting in limbo,returning back to you or worse,sold to a local ebay seller who will sell it on Ebay. 

My guess is that your JAPANESE buyer does not understand how GSP works,she may have bought from Ebay sellers who use GSP and thought this is how it works,on and off EBay.

THE BOTTOM LINE is she did not pay for GSP shipping and GSP has no record of her payment and her address in JAPAN,her package is ?????????????

Good luck trying to ask GSP to find your package.   

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
Solved

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If your package was shipped to ERLANGER in July,and you have not received them back by now ,your items have been  sold to a local seller who sells on EBay.

All GSP shipments which cannot be shipped overseas either import or export restriction,size and declaration violation etc etc,GSP will refund the buyer in full (item plus shipping) and sell items to  local seller .

Seller has received his payment so no loss to him.

Buyer gets her payment from GSP,so no loss,altho they do complain why they cant get what they want.

GSP gets something back from the local seller.

Local seller then  sell the item on Ebay.

Examples would be some Thomson guitars going to Australia,US customs would not allow the wood used in those guitar to leave this country 

There is nothing you can change in your Paypal account,if you get more like this in the future,just ask her for a Japanese address

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I don't think it is possible to trigger GSP from non-eBay site.  The only thing I can think of is if the buyer had that forwarder address in their profile and used it on the payment by mistake.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

debtat
Contributor
Contributor

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

May wanna start here to contact someone about the packages: 

http://www.pitneybowes.com/us/support/account/global-ecommerce-cross-border-shipping-support.html

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

It is not possible to trigger Ebay GSP unless the item is listed on Ebay and your Ebay ID specified using GSP for intl shipping.

But you said you do not sell on Ebay.

Unless your Japanese buyer has entered the GSP address as her shipping address.

I am not aware GSP is soliciting business outside EBay,so the question is why is she using the GSP address ?

The way GSP wroks is that the buyer pays domestic shipping to the seller to ship the item to Kentucky with tracking,then the seller job is done.

The buyer also pays GSP for the intl leg of the journey,GSP will tell her how much she should pay-shipping,customs duty if any,and a markup for GSP handling.

When your item arrive at GSP Kentucky,they will look up her GSP payment ,repackage your item and slap on the Japanese address  and sent it to Japan,usually USPS priority mail.

But in this case,GSP has no record of her payment and forwarding address,so I would think it is either sitting in limbo,returning back to you or worse,sold to a local ebay seller who will sell it on Ebay. 

My guess is that your JAPANESE buyer does not understand how GSP works,she may have bought from Ebay sellers who use GSP and thought this is how it works,on and off EBay.

THE BOTTOM LINE is she did not pay for GSP shipping and GSP has no record of her payment and her address in JAPAN,her package is ?????????????

Good luck trying to ask GSP to find your package.   

Login to Me Too
Solved

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If your package was shipped to ERLANGER in July,and you have not received them back by now ,your items have been  sold to a local seller who sells on EBay.

All GSP shipments which cannot be shipped overseas either import or export restriction,size and declaration violation etc etc,GSP will refund the buyer in full (item plus shipping) and sell items to  local seller .

Seller has received his payment so no loss to him.

Buyer gets her payment from GSP,so no loss,altho they do complain why they cant get what they want.

GSP gets something back from the local seller.

Local seller then  sell the item on Ebay.

Examples would be some Thomson guitars going to Australia,US customs would not allow the wood used in those guitar to leave this country 

There is nothing you can change in your Paypal account,if you get more like this in the future,just ask her for a Japanese address

Login to Me Too

sixspd
Contributor
Contributor

Great advice - does anyonoe know who these "Local Sellers" are? I really want to get an item back that was not shipped by the GSP - I have a refund but I really want the item!! One seller was "greatstuffcheapprices" apparently, but they no longer use that account.

Anyone know who else they use?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you can try Ebay seller forum and ask,plenty of sellers there !

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.