Nightmare Buyer from eBay Auction

Teary510
Contributor
Contributor

So I have this buyer who bought a ring from me on eBay. She received it and claimed that there was a stone that come loose in the box during shipping. I ttold her that she could return the ring and I would refund her or return the repaired ring. She said she would rather keep the ring, have it repaired locally, and submit a USPS claim. 

After 3+ weeks she finally sent me a repair ticket from the jeweler she went to for the repair. It shows nothing about payment. I told her it would be best for her to submit the claim since she chose to keep the ring and has all the answers to the questions USPS would have. She decided she didn't want to do that. I previously told her to keep the shipping packaing which she threw away and said she had pictures of it but I never saw them. I have only seen the ring with the stone missing and the repair ticket. I never saw a payment receipt or pics of the repair. I explained to her I would need to have all these things in order to submit a USPS claim for anything. After all his she has said another stone has come out. I can't be certain that she didn't do something to the ring or if the jeweler did a bad repair at this point.

She filed a return dispute with eBay (saying it arrived damaged.) It was closed in my favor since she has altered/repaired the ring. Now she's threatening to file a dispute with paypal to get her money back. Is there anything I can do to make sure I am covered? I have made sure I have the eBay dispute saved and all the info available for paypal. If she returns the ring she would be returning it in a condition that she did not receive it in according to her own statements.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Teary510
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to update this since this buyer has been through ebay and now paypal trying to get her money back. Both disputes/claims were decided in my favor because she altered the ring. According to both, a buyer has no protection if they alter a product. I did upload the documentation I had to ebay during that dispute. Once the 10 days was up I called ebay and the case was decided while I was on the phone with a rep. There was a weird glitch with paypal. I got a notification that there was a dispute filed when I logged into my account with them but it never showed up in the resolution center. I never even got an email saying there was a dispute. Even the original transaction in my activity log showed a dispute link that took me to an empty resolution center. I called them the following morning and spoke with a rep who found the claim. She gave me a email address to send a copy of the ebay dispute conclusion and the additional documention. I also got the dispute number from her. By noon the dispute link was gone from the original transaction.  I have still not got anything from paypal about it but did call and found out that the case has been closed in my favor.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Paypal robot will ask her to return the ring and give her the money back,but she has to payreturn shipping.

USPS claim does not need to see the repair work,just the condition when it arrived,sometimes it would ask her  to go to a post office and show it to the clerk.

did you insure the ring with USPS?

If shipped priority,there is a $50-$100 insurance included.

Login to Me Too

Teary510
Contributor
Contributor
According to USPS, they said that they need more than the ring damage since it's a repair claim. Are you telling me that she can return the ring and get her money back after she has altered the ring? The package was insured since I shipped priority.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

repair claim?

USPS would not pay more than  USPS priority implied coverage ,if she has repaired the ring,then it just muddles the picture as  how and where the damage is.

if she refuses to co-operate,then there is not much you can do .

welcome to Ebay,dont sell anything you cant afford to lose

Login to Me Too

ArgenisGonzalez
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Teary510,

Hello there buddy! 🙂 Here to help you on your concerns as i see you are panicking. eBay made the right decision on deciding in your favor in this one. As for PayPal, IF she initiates a return then thats on her BUT, when a case is opened PayPal escalates & reviews then asks for information from both buyer & seller. IF she chooses to ship it back then thats on her but, PayPal claims also has a files & comment section meaning you can upload proof of the convo with her & that she had the ring repaired or in this case TRIED & failed. Also, upload the case of eBay that was in your favor. After all this being done, PayPal in 10 days will review all comments & files left in the claim IF any was left & they will then make a final decision on who keeps the money. However, if she initiates a return then PayPal will hold the money until everything is sorted out which most likely will be in your favor again as you do have a protection pla on PayPal as well. Now, IF she initiates a return then he easiest way to get it decided in your favor is to call eBay & speak to the resolution department about the case you wont & that the buyer now opened a case on PayPal. When you tell them this they will say you will have to speak to PayPal so what they will ask you is if you want to call them OR have them transfer you to a PayPal representative as they can do that since PayPal & eBay work together. You will ask them to transfer you to a PayPal call & tell them to provide you a reference number before they transfer you so that when you get transfered to PayPal, you can give them the reference number & they will pull it up & it will help you with the return IF she initiates one & they will see that your in fact are not lying & they will see eBays decison & most likely decide in your right there most likely & close the return & give you the money back. With that being said, i think you get how the process will work & what to do 🙂 Best of luck to you & have a good one! ~AG.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Teary510
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to update this since this buyer has been through ebay and now paypal trying to get her money back. Both disputes/claims were decided in my favor because she altered the ring. According to both, a buyer has no protection if they alter a product. I did upload the documentation I had to ebay during that dispute. Once the 10 days was up I called ebay and the case was decided while I was on the phone with a rep. There was a weird glitch with paypal. I got a notification that there was a dispute filed when I logged into my account with them but it never showed up in the resolution center. I never even got an email saying there was a dispute. Even the original transaction in my activity log showed a dispute link that took me to an empty resolution center. I called them the following morning and spoke with a rep who found the claim. She gave me a email address to send a copy of the ebay dispute conclusion and the additional documention. I also got the dispute number from her. By noon the dispute link was gone from the original transaction.  I have still not got anything from paypal about it but did call and found out that the case has been closed in my favor.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

yes,the item has to be in the same condition as sold,else there is no buyer protection.

But she can try filing a chargeback with her cc issuer.

you should block her from buying in the future from you.

I have someone who bought a small figurine from me,she showed me a picture of the item,a razor and some white powder,she said it is not as described and the white powder shows so,I deny her refund and return as she has not just altered but destroyed the item.

Login to Me Too

Teary510
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently she paid with her checking account, not her credit card so she no longer has anything she can do. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.