My concerns about selling on EBAY with paypal

Derick0103
Contributor
Contributor

Recently I received a dispute on PAYPAL which is about $700, and I approved the request and asked for a return. I noticed PAYPAL may make a full refund as long as the tracking number shows delivered.

Now the period for opening a PAYPAL dispute is 180 days, and PAYPAL always sides with the buyer if "not as described" cases are opened against the sellers. Those policies make me concerned about whether selling high valued items is safe or not on EBAY because the buyers can easily get their money back even they return a piece of paper with a valid tracking number after "not as described" cases are opened within 180 days!

Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
You are correct. Never sell anything you can't afford to lose by using eBay and/or PayPal. Use them only if you feel that you can't find buyer by using traditional payment options (cash, cash on delivery or bank transfer). Traditional methods won't leave you vulnerable to such scams as eBay and PayPal do.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You just have to use your own judgment,some items are good to steal and quickly turned into cash-gold coins,gold jewelry,cell phones esp iphones.

you may want to look into other venues which allow you to accept non credit card payment like selling locally or pawn shop.

Paypal and Ebay do not know who is telling the truth,so the fair thing to do is to ask buyer to return the item to seller in same condition.

if item not as described is filed on Ebay,seller pays return shipping 

Login to Me Too

mrsB_770
Contributor
Contributor
You're right. I just started a thread because of a similar issue. They do not pay attention to proof. I often wonder where their call centers are located because something seems to be lost in translation. The buyer can say and do anything. I have sold thousands of dollars worth of items. eBay has no power as long as Paypal is involved. The buyer will just file through PayPal who will give them exactly what they want.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.