Marking item as received before pickup

asg77

I purchased an item on eBay and have coordinated with the seller to pick it up next week. He marked the item as shipped and requested that I mark it as received so his money will be released to him sooner. I've never had a seller ask that before.I get that he's probably attempting to protect himself from the possibility of a scam. Even so, I'm hesitant to do it until I've actually picked up the item. What's more, I don't see an option to mark it as received anywhere on eBay or Paypal. Thoughts?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

ArgenisGonzalez
Contributor
Contributor

Hi asg77,

I believe only the seller has the option to mark it as 'item recieved' although i could be wrong though. You can try going back to your purchase history on eBay & find the item & you should see a tab that says 'more options' next to the item. The 'item recieved' option should be there but i recommended that you wait until you have the item & inspect it that way just in case something goes wrong, the money will still be on hold so that he wont spend it. Now, if you do mark it as 'item received' & if he spends the money but, something goes wrong then, this does not mean that you still cant file a claim against him as if something goes wrong, you are covered by your buyer protection plan. Hope i helped clarify things up for you. Have a good one! ~AG.

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@asg77  I Sell on eBay and here are my thoughts on your post.  Do NOT mark anything picked up until you actually pick it up.  Any cash flow issue that a Seller may or may not have is not YOUR issue but theirs.  There is a chance that you get there and for some strange reason or issue with the item you do not want it ... if the $$ has been processed you are faced with trying to get it back.  Many Sellers prefer getting paid cash at pick up and NOT paid through PayPal ... however, Buyers have the option to do either.  The other issue for Sellers is this.  When an item is paid for via PayPal the Seller is immediately charged their eBay Final Value Fees (FVFs) which is 10% in most cases.   They also have to pay PayPal 30 cents for your transaction PLUS another 2.9% on the total order (item plus shipping but in the Local Pick scenario there is no shipping).  So the Buyer is out about 13% on everything they sell plus shipping.  PayPal takes their cut as soon as you purchase.  Ebay gets their FVF the following month after they send the Seller the monthly invoice.

Hope that helps ...

Login to Me Too

ArgenisGonzalez
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for adding on 🙂 Kudos to that!

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@ArgenisGonzalez

@ArgenisGonzalez wrote:

Thank you for adding on 🙂 Kudos to that!

10-4!  Good support is a team effort ...

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Linc1957 wrote:

@asg77  I Sell on eBay and here are my thoughts on your post.  Do NOT mark anything picked up until you actually pick it up.  Any cash flow issue that a Seller may or may not have is not YOUR issue but theirs.  There is a chance that you get there and for some strange reason or issue with the item you do not want it ... if the $$ has been processed you are faced with trying to get it back.  Many Sellers prefer getting paid cash at pick up and NOT paid through PayPal ... however, Buyers have the option to do either.  The other issue for Sellers is this.  When an item is paid for via PayPal the Seller is immediately charged their eBay Final Value Fees (FVFs) which is 10% in most cases.   They also have to pay PayPal 30 cents for your transaction PLUS another 2.9% on the total order (item plus shipping but in the Local Pick scenario there is no shipping).  So the Buyer is out about 13% on everything they sell plus shipping.  PayPal takes their cut as soon as you purchase.  Ebay gets their FVF the following month after they send the Seller the monthly invoice.

Hope that helps ...

Ebay FVF fee of  the item  is charged to the seller account as soon as the aucton ended with a winner or if it is  a buy it now,when the buyer placed the order,Ebay does not wait for buyer to make payment(whether it is made via paypal or pickup )

When the seller prints a shipping label,FVF of shipping is charged to the seller account,yes,there is a FVF on shipping as well.

Both FVF would be found  in the seller Ebay account,but invoicing does not take place until end of the period.

if the OP has made payment already via Paypal and then go to pick up the item,seller has no seller protection if she later filed with Paypal that she has not received the item,as seller cannot prove he has delivered ,by showing a delivery confirmation that it has been delivered by a commercial carrier to OP's address on file.

the risk is really with the seller,not the buyer.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

what is the item?

there is no item not as described protection for buyer  if it were digital/virtual,service rendered,financial instrument,real estate,auto,custom order.

say you get a haircut and you dont like it,or download musice and it is lousy,or car does not run,or customs made boots do not fit,or the stock falls to zero .

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Whac-A-Mole

@sumiko wrote:

@Linc1957 wrote:

Hope that helps ...

Ebay FVF fee of  the item  is charged to the seller account as soon as the aucton ended with a winner or if it is  a buy it now,when the buyer placed the order,Ebay does not wait for buyer to make payment(whether it is made via paypal or pickup )

When the seller prints a shipping label,FVF of shipping is charged to the seller account,yes,there is a FVF on shipping as well.

Both FVF would be found  in the seller Ebay account,but invoicing does not take place until end of the period.

if the OP has made payment already via Paypal and then go to pick up the item,seller has no seller protection if she later filed with Paypal that she has not received the item,as seller cannot prove he has delivered ,by showing a delivery confirmation that it has been delivered by a commercial carrier to OP's address on file.

the risk is really with the seller,not the buyer.

Yes, I know all of that but thanks anyway.

Login to Me Too

Linc1957
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Whac-A-Mole  Thank you ... I understand all of that ...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.