Ebay won't link Paypal account

kevspalmer
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am trying to link my PayPal account with Ebay. When I click on "Link my Paypal account" button in the Ebay settings it takes me to a login page. So I login to my PayPal account but then it takes me to a PayPal sign up page. When I try to sign up, it tells me my email is already in use. Duh. This account is a Student Account, and was just opened today if that has anything to do with it. Thank you very much for any information you can provide!

Login to Me Too
61 REPLIES 61

JekoJelly
New Community Member

Wow, I was having this problem for weeks until I deactivated my security key just to link the accounts. I reactivated it after the two accounts got linked so let's hope everything is fine and the security key doesn't mess it up...

Login to Me Too

painman
New Community Member

Easiest thing to do is to create your paypal account through ebay, not separately, and then link them.

Login to Me Too

ElectricSun

For me the problem was Windows 10, as soon as I tried to pay using a computer with windows 7 it worked first time.

I am having to many minor issues with windows 10 I will be reinstalling windows 7 as soon as I have some spare time.

Login to Me Too

G02Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Try using BING.. Google sucks !!!

Login to Me Too

michaelleung
New Community Member

Hi, 

I am having this problem as well. I had to close my Paypal account and then reopen it for reasons (it was already linked to eBay before) and then when I tried to link my Paypal to my existing eBay account again I get the "You're almost done linking your accounts; You have successfully signed up for PayPal with a credit card." message. When I clicked on Return to eBay, my Paypal details weren't there and nothing appeared to have been linked. I contacted Paypal support and their 'solution' was to click on Return to eBay, as though I was so stupid I wouldn't have thought to click on the only button available to me on a webpage. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Does contacting eBay support work?

Login to Me Too

quutamo26
New Community Member

Add all you want to buy, once you're done adding, proceed to "checkout"

No problem adding paypal on this point.

Cheers!

Login to Me Too

JoannaT
New Community Member

I found a solution! None of the other browser tricks worked for me.

Here's how you do it:

Step 1 - go to eBay > my account settings

Step 2 - go to Paypal screen

Step 3 - MOST IMPORTANT - DO NOT LINK TO YOUR ACCOUNT.  Instead sign up for a new account.  In the paypal form, enter your actual existing paypal account.  This will result in an erorr, and the form will be refreshed.

Step 4 - Click on SIGN IN with another account (at the top of the form)

Step 5 - On screen, it says congrats.  Now Click on return to eBay

Should work fine now! 

Login to Me Too

Plympirate
New Community Member
JoannaT your suggestion worked for me thanks. So anoying I can't believe this problem.
Login to Me Too

yossarian1156
New Community Member

Wow, this is a frustrating one. Tried all the things mentioned and they didn't work. 

In the end the issue was an expired credit card in my PayPal account, even though I had a valid one. I removed expired cards or updated them to be valid. Once I'd done that in paypal, I tried again and the link worked. Hope that helps!

Login to Me Too

rpfutrell
Contributor
Contributor

My scenario was due to me using Chrome, I was attempting to place a "maximum" bid on an item, but the seller requried I have a paypal account.  After attempting it several time in Chrome without any success (infinite loop), I found this thread. 

Using MS Edge, I was able to link the accounts.  I experienced all the same prompts, however using Edge, Ebay finally detected or successfully allowed me to link my paypal account to my ebay account and I was allowed to bid on the item.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.