Ebay won't link Paypal account

kevspalmer
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am trying to link my PayPal account with Ebay. When I click on "Link my Paypal account" button in the Ebay settings it takes me to a login page. So I login to my PayPal account but then it takes me to a PayPal sign up page. When I try to sign up, it tells me my email is already in use. Duh. This account is a Student Account, and was just opened today if that has anything to do with it. Thank you very much for any information you can provide!

Login to Me Too
61 REPLIES 61

6Winged
New Community Member

I figured it out.

If you have any symbol in your first out last name on your Ebay Account, it wont work. I made a new account taking out the ' in my last name and everything started working perfectly. Hope this works for the rest of you!

Login to Me Too

susanadanamarka
New Community Member
Does the same go for the EBAY app? I still can't get them to link. To pay for any of my purchases, I have to get out of the app and log into EBAY through a normal web browser and then I have no problem.
Login to Me Too

tinman67
Contributor
Contributor

here's what i was having trouble with...

new ebay account, first listing went through fine.

2nd listing, at the end, it forced me to link an automatic payment method to my account.  I just created a new email for my existing Paypal account to make this happen (this is a second ebay account I am using in addition to another one already up and running for a couple of years).

ANYWAY, the link that sends you to the page for paypal/ebay linkage doesn't work...I get an error that ebay can not use that paypal account and to use another method.

I called ebay customer service and they kinda blamed paypal and told me they had about 4 calls tonight about this issue.

I read some of the comments here and decided to try another link since it sounds like some of them that are currently in place are directing us to the wrong Paypal sign-up/sign-in page.

SO instead I went into my ebay account settings and used the LINK PAYPAL ACCOUNT button from THERE...it went through right away.

Haven't gone back to finish my 2nd listing but will report back if I still have a problem.

Login to Me Too

rufus2
Contributor
Contributor

the wizard never really gave nothin to the tinman... that the Tinman ddnt already have

Login to Me Too

rufus2
Contributor
Contributor

Solved. i cant remeber exact. i tried a dif email then viola! now i want to take that email off but im scared and when the item i have for sale shows.....

it shows the original EMAIL. i mean i went to sell another...the draft so many since it ddnt work then i addd the reg email.or original that i wanted. BOTH item have the desired email but i had to sign in and verify with the other..well it worked with the other but saw new wmails to verifiy. so anyway its workn. ima buy somm from myself to make sure and check the email.

Login to Me Too

Stefmeister
New Community Member

Having similar but different problems.

My sister just got a bank account setup & wants to stay buying stuff off Ebay. She setup an Ebay account & a paypal account & tried to link them.

She clicks on the link paypal account button in Ebay & logs into paypal but the next screen says:

"

Final step to link your accounts

You have successfully signed up for PayPal with a credit card.

"

When you click return to Ebay the paypal account isn't linked & there are no card details recorded on Ebay so she can't buy anything.

Login to Me Too

Najeb
Contributor
Contributor

Add the funds from your bank to your PayPal account it will take 3 business days then use your balance in PayPal to pay   that's the only way that works

Login to Me Too

AngryDW
New Community Member

Well, just got off the phone with Paypal and Ebay. Complete waste of time. None of the suggestions above made a difference and the two companies just blamed one another for the problem. I have checked my user names, switched browsers, cleared cache, sacrificed a chicken and swore allegiance to Satan, but nothing is working. I'm pretty sure these companies are derivative of some ancient extraterrestrial evil that mankind cannot fathom yet. 

Login to Me Too

rufus2
Contributor
Contributor
I thought allegiance always worked. bummer. sorry all I can do Is try to smile. Ebay got enough to fix anemia, and is fn with us
Login to Me Too

Oplurus
Contributor
Contributor

Watching that auction end over the course of 10 hours and not being able to overcome the invisible force preventing my ebay and paypal account from being linked was excruciating. I want them to have my money. Why won't they just TAKE IT!!!

The only possible course of action seems to be this one:

Click link stating I already have a PayPal account.

Step1.jpg

Enter PayPal account details.Step3.jpg

Enter Ebay account details.

Step2.jpg

Receive mixed message stating that I'm almost done linking the accounts (which is what want to do), and that I've successfully signed up for PayPal with my creditcard (which is not what I was doing! I did that yesterday!). I'm then only given the option to return to Ebay, even though I'm only "almost done".

Step4.jpg

From the message on the last page I conclude that Ebay forgot to add the final step and this is causing sellers that choose to only accept bids from customers with PayPal-linked Ebay accounts to miss out on bids.

PayPal doesn't seem to have a section on their site that allows Ebay account linking.

Is there a knowledgable PayPal technician in this paypal-community who can help with this problem? Or is paypal-community just a padded room where people can vent and bang their heads against the wall until they go quiet? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.