Am I required to purchase aditional insurance on the item I bought beforeseller will ship?

Temp20201216t
Contributor
Contributor

I very recently purchased an item, paid for it and shipping,through PayPal.  I then received an email from the seller saying "you failed to purchase insurance to cover the full value and we want to make sure you agree to shipping with only $100 insurance on the $650 irem,"  This is paraphrased but hopefully you understand my question.  I have never been told or asked to buy additional insurance on any of the many items I purchasedon eBay.   Am I missing something?  The listing indicated shipping was only $28.00;  however, when paying with PayPal the charges for shipping was $43.00.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

where has this seller been?North Pole.

long long time ago seller can get away saying since y ou did not opt for insurance,too bad the item is damaged or lost.

but ebay said seller cannot ask buyer to pay insurance or paypal fee.

report this seller,you pay what is stated in the listing.

if item arrived damaged,USPS priority covers up to $100 insurance,seller would have to buy extra either with USPS or third party insurer,it is his responsibility to deliver goods in good order,ifnot you file with ebay item not received or item not as described and get the full payment back(item plus shipping) and seller gets a black eye !  

if interenational USPS priority,insurance may be higher,but not $600.

seller can always get private insurance from ship insurance or u-pic if he is concerned of loss or damage.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

where has this seller been?North Pole.

long long time ago seller can get away saying since y ou did not opt for insurance,too bad the item is damaged or lost.

but ebay said seller cannot ask buyer to pay insurance or paypal fee.

report this seller,you pay what is stated in the listing.

if item arrived damaged,USPS priority covers up to $100 insurance,seller would have to buy extra either with USPS or third party insurer,it is his responsibility to deliver goods in good order,ifnot you file with ebay item not received or item not as described and get the full payment back(item plus shipping) and seller gets a black eye !  

if interenational USPS priority,insurance may be higher,but not $600.

seller can always get private insurance from ship insurance or u-pic if he is concerned of loss or damage.

Login to Me Too

Temp20201216t
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.