the Nigeria Scam Problem.

Jasonchoi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I want to ask you guys one question.

Actually this was my first time with paypal.com and ebay.

I sold my laptop on ebay, and I think the buyer tried to scam on me.

The thing is, I clicked the link from his 'fake' email, which as Transaction ID, and I logged in.

Is that can be a problem with my account??

I mean that is there a probability he steals my account and password??

The following is the email:

Hello

You have an instant payment of $1,130 from Mr Paul Jones to your account for an eBay item through Paypal.

Transaction amount : $ 1,130 USD

Transaction ID:  145**********(This is what I followed)

Current Status : payment pending

Delivery Address:

Nigeria

Confirmed

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Jasonchoi,

Oh no! Smiley Sad Definitely change your password and security questions immediately, as well as run a full, updated virus scan of your computer.  If you provided any additional sensitive information - such as bank or credit card numbers - take action to secure those pieces of information.

Once you've taken care of the above, please feel free to send the email over to spoof@paypal.com so we can get it registered.  You may also find this thread and this thread helpful in the future.

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Jasonchoi,

Oh no! Smiley Sad Definitely change your password and security questions immediately, as well as run a full, updated virus scan of your computer.  If you provided any additional sensitive information - such as bank or credit card numbers - take action to secure those pieces of information.

Once you've taken care of the above, please feel free to send the email over to spoof@paypal.com so we can get it registered.  You may also find this thread and this thread helpful in the future.

Stay safe,

Adrian

Login to Me Too

Jasonchoi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tips!! 🙂

I did every thing you said, and Now I feel much better..

Login to Me Too

qhimobile2012
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar email but was not requested to give my password. At bottom of screen it has highlighted in yellow that funds were deducted from payers account and are pending in escrow until shipment is verified by Paypal.  I have sent this to Paypal via email reply that provided by Paypal. I have tried to copy the email so you could see it, this is my first time using the account and this buyer was from Nigeria as well.  We have shipped the item because of the email saying payment received.  I need to put stop on the shipment if funds are not legitimate. How do I find this out>

Very Concerned.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

qhimobile2012 -

That's definitely not how our emails are formatted or worded - check out the links above for lots of tips about how to spot these.

To stop the shipment, I would recommend contacting your shipping company.  If it hasn't made it to the other countries customs yet, you should still be able to pull it back.

Stay safe,

Adrian

Login to Me Too

meetzaheer
New Community Member

Thanks as I am new to Paypal I was about to get trapped in this Nigeria scam but thank god I happened to speak to Paypal and they warned me.I have just given my email id to that person ..hope this will not lead to any problem.

I have lodged the complaint ..so I need to do anything else 😞

The first experience itself is bad ..

How do you make sure that the other party is genuine?

Please help

Thanks

Zaheer

Login to Me Too

Lynn70
Contributor
Contributor

I am new to Paypal as well but a friend of mine talked me into helping his "friend" who was currently out of the country and this friend is probably in Nigeria as well...  He wanted my help in accepting payments for rental properties...  I received the first payment and thought everything w, and was ok until I contacted an AWESOME rep. at paypal and was told that the property address listed on the payment was an empty property and was currently for sale...  He reversed the payment...  When I told my friend this, he got upset and said there was no way his friend could/would do something like this...  My friend wanted proof of what the rep. said...  Is it possible to get this information so that I can prove that I'm not lying???  Any help would be greatly appreciated... 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.